Position: Parkinson’s Disease Information Specialist
Reports to: Director, Patient Services
Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: Flexible, West Coast US preferred
About the Helpline:
The Parkinson's Foundation Helpline 1.800.4PD.INFO (1-800-473-4636) is the trusted source for people with Parkinson’s, family members, caregivers as well as healthcare professionals for answers to all their questions. Callers may be at any point in their disease progression when they contact us seeking help with:
· Current disease information
· Medical issues including symptoms and treatments
· Health and social care
· Emotional support
· Referrals to health professionals and community resources for local support
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Respond to requests and inquiries from persons with Parkinson’s disease (PD) and their families, using tools and resources provided by the foundation to deliver comprehensive information regarding PD including: symptoms, diagnosis, treatment options, epidemiology, resources, health professionals, support groups, social services, foundation events, and other issues relevant to callers.
- Deliver support to those in emotional distress and recognize when a call escalates into a crisis call. Facilitate back up assistance from peers and supervisors to effectively secure the caller's safety.
- Speak to callers in a respectful and courteous way, making every possible effort to ensure callers are satisfied with their interaction with the FoundatioAccess information from multiple sources quickly and efficiently while in a call and without interrupting the call flow.
- Identify resources and services for the online resource library and Helpline solutions database.
- Manage follow-up with callers, including the fulfillment of information requests. Proactively identify opportunities for follow-up engagement with patient/constituent callers, scheduling follow-up and referrals to internal/external resources.
- Enter complete and thorough records in the contact relationship management system (CRM) following client interactions, ensuring accurate coding is utilized for reporting and information purposes.
- Develop supportive relationships and team building by communicating effectively with Parkinson’s Foundation staff, the network of Centers of Excellence (COE), Chapters, and support groups; when requesting additional community resources or clarification of program information.
- Ensure that all aspects of the Helpline caller’s experience meet a high standard for accuracy, accessibility, quality, and professionalism that reflect well on the foundation.
- Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience in a health care or human services field, preferably within a diseases specific health-related organization and demonstrate dedication to a high level of service, nursing or social work background a plus.
- Ability to quickly acquire a good understanding of Parkinson’s disease, and demonstrate experience working with people with disabilities or a chronic condition.
- Capable of working with clients who are both newly diagnosed and severely disabled, as well as those who are angry and depressed. Experience with managing crisis situations preferred.
- Ability to conduct thorough assessments of caller needs and concerns, and identify resources through various search methods appropriate to clients’ issues. Requires skill and knowledge of crisis intervention techniques and suicide-risk assessment.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with MS Office suite; experience with CRM systems such as Salesforce and cloud based communincation systems preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and safeguard personal information received from callers, exercising maximum discretion and respect for constituent’s privacy.
- Must possess excellent verbal as well as written communication and active listening skills.
- Fluent in English and Spanish languages.
- Work schedule will be Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Time.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant review will
continue until the position is filled. Please indicate, “Parkinson’s Disease Information Specialist” in
the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Parkinson's Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.