Community Solutions is a nonprofit innovation partner to communities around the world. We leverage engaging, innovative problem solving tools like design thinking and quality improvement to help communities end homelessness and the conditions that create it. The Built for Zero (BFZ) team works with over 100 communities across the US and around the world to build a movement to end homelessness.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and organized individual to join the Data Team on the energetic, collaborative Built for Zero team at Community Solutions. This position reports to the Data Solutions Manager and will be responsible for co-designing, maintaining, and continually improving Built for Zero’s data systems (including our database, client relationship management software [CRM], Tableau Server deployment, and training materials/processes). Semi-regular travel will be required to attend semi-annual team retreats and other on-site trainings or convenings.
Defining Success for this Position:
- Built for Zero has a cohesive, integrated, high-functioning data ecosystem: our team and communities can easily access the data they need and are confident in data quality.
- Processes are designed to empower users to access the information they need. Automation is the name of the game and our systems run smoothly without needing staff to make recurring manual updates.
- Our tools are accessible and designed with the user in mind.
- Our systems are ready to go to scale. Our work is constantly growing, so it’s crucial that we build with an eye towards supporting more communities and initiatives with collecting, storing, and visualizing the data they need to inform their work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Co-lead the design and administration of data systems that empower Community Solutions, communities, and partners to analyze data and track and improve performance including:
- Development of tools to help clients and our internal team collect data and draw meaningful insights from the data.
- Design and implementation of new data collection and validation processes
- Automation of ETL processes for preparing data for analysis
- Creation of data visualizations that track progress towards metrics for both internal and external stakeholders and allow them to answer key questions.
- Provide training and documentation around how to use tools.
- Management and iterative improvement of data infrastructure design and/or functionality, i.e. work to regularly revise data and performance management products based on the changing needs of end users as well as updates made to technology platforms.
- Development of a more robust Community Solutions database/data warehouse solution
- Continued improvement and administration of Salesforce deployment
- Management of our Tableau Server deployment
- Strengthening of integrations so that information automatically flows between these platforms.
- Determine the right level of access for different users and manage the quality of data within our systems.
- Ensure sensitive data is securely housed.
- Create systems for regularly backing up data.
- Develop and share clear training materials and processes for communities, partners, and internal staff.
- Serve as backup to the Data Solutions Manager on calls, meetings, and trainings, as needed.
- Contribute to team discussions around how to collect, prepare, and visualize data.
- Other duties, as assigned, to advance the efforts of the Data and Performance Management Team.
- This role may supervise up to two data analysts
- Passion for justice, equity, and ending homelessness.
- Spreadsheet witch/wizard with experience designing and/or managing databases, client relationship management tools (CRMs), and extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes. Experience with Salesforce, Tableau or other business intelligence tools, and Amazon Web Services is a plus.
- At least five years of previous work experience in a professional environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and demonstrate a willingness to shift easily between various responsibilities with diverse stakeholders.
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions.
- Receives and relays criticism constructively.
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player.
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and delegate appropriately.
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, and uncertainty.
- Willingness to embrace and actively support the unique culture and values of Community Solutions.
Equipment /Software/Other Used:
- Project management
- Google Suite
- Data prep and visualization
- Google Apps Script and Python
- Tableau Desktop / Prep
- Data storage and management
- Google Sheets
- Amazon Web Services
- Tableau Server
- Web development
- HTML / CSS
- Node.js / npm
- GitHub / Git Bash
- This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. and provides for the flexibility to work from a remote location without the standard support available at an office if desired. The Built for Zero team has offices in Los Angeles, New York, and Atlanta.