Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
7 Hanover Square
Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The organization serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The organization’s annual operating budget is over $27 million. Serving more than 75,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 280, supported by 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
Values that guide us
· We reduce the effects of poverty by providing high quality, effective civil legal services.
· We partner with our clients to help them transform their lives and strengthen their communities.
· We address our clients’ multiple legal needs by collaborating across our practice areas.
· We are at the forefront of identifying and understanding New Yorkers’ most pressing legal needs, rapidly adapting to meet these needs with innovative programs and partnerships.
· We assess need broadly, recognizing that need is not a function of income alone.
· We collaborate with community organizations and engage pro bono attorneys and volunteers to serve a greater number of people with unmet civil legal needs.
· We achieve systemic change through class actions, impact litigation and by advocating for just laws and policies.
· We work to create a welcoming and inclusive work environment that reflects the communities we serve.
· We teach and train the next generation of legal service professionals.
LegalHealth, a division of the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG), is hiring a paralegal with a demonstrated commitment to public interest work. The paralegal will assist with case handling and support in areas such as public benefits, housing, immigration, and 17A Guardianship. Applicants must be prepared to handle a high volume of matters and to interact with a diverse client population in a sensitive and professional manner. The successful candidate will work closely with LegalHealth’s attorneys and will receive both on-the-job and more formal training.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The paralegal will assist in performing direct client intakes of patients referred by LegalHealth partner hospitals, represent clients at administrative hearings and advocating with government agencies to secure benefits and services such as Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, and public assistance. The paralegal will provide support to attorneys preparing 17A Guardianship Petitions and some immigration filings. The paralegal will also be responsible for some administrative tasks, some written and oral translations and other language support.
LegalHealth seeks applicants who demonstrate a strong commitment to public service, are bilingual in spoken and written Spanish, have community service experience, and possess excellent organizational, oral, written, and analytic abilities. We seek an applicant who can commit to the position for at least 24 months.
NYLAG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
NYLAG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required