Founded in 1985, Health Care For All (HCFA) is one of the most important state-based consumer health advocacy organizations in the country. Our mission is to create a consumer-centered health care system that provides comprehensive, affordable, accessible, culturally-competent, high-quality care for everyone, especially the most vulnerable among us. HCFA works to expand health care access, improve quality and control costs in Massachusetts through its sponsorship of numerous policy advocacy coalitions. These coalitions bring together a wide variety of organizations to work in concert to make health care changes. By uniting diverse constituencies, HCFA is able to magnify its policy reach on many fronts. HCFA also helps thousands of individuals enroll in and renew their health coverage each year through our consumer assistance HelpLine. We use the health care access barriers that HelpLine callers report to inform our state-level health advocacy agenda.
The organization’s achievements include leading four waves of broad Massachusetts health reform, including legislation in 2006 that was the precursor for the Affordable Care Act. The latest legislation in 2012 resulted in the nation’s first comprehensive law aimed at controlling health care cost growth through adoption of alternative payment methodologies, care coordination, and investments in technology, wellness and prevention. Today the likely repeal of the ACA by the incoming Trump administration is a serious threat to health access for the people of Massachusetts. Health Care For All is preparing to take a leadership role once again in the campaigns that will be necessary to defend the progress we have made in health care access, quality and affordability. For more information, please visit www.hcfama.org.
HCFA is seeking a Bilingual HelpLine Counselor to assist with HelpLine operations including, but not limited to helping callers access competent, quality health care. This work combines direct service, advocacy, and public education to make the system more responsive to consumers. The HelpLine Counselor will be certified as a Navigator through the Massachusetts Health Connector to assist consumers with enrolling into health insurance.
This is a full-time position.
The Helpline counselor reports to the Associate Director of HelpLine, Enrollment and Education.
· Ability to write and converse proficiently in English and Spanish;
· Strong interpersonal communication skills;
· Ability to convey complex information in a clear, understandable manner;
· Ability to work well with diverse populations;
· Ability to quickly understand new information;
· Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills;
· Ability to deal calmly in crisis situations;
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
· Ability to multitask and work independently;
· Prior work as an Enrollment Assister in Massachusetts is a plus, but not required;
· Prior knowledge of the public health insurance programs, policy, and the health care environment in Massachusetts is a plus, but not required.
- Provide callers with easy-to-understand state health care coverage information;
- Provide customer service with respect and care to all callers;
- Provide screening and direct enrollment to clients over the phone utilizing an in-house online application tool;
· Monitor and evaluate HelpLine call activity in order to identify systemic problems;
· Attend enrollment events as needed;
- Maintain proprietary and confidential information from outside visitors and all other persons who do not have a legitimate reason to see or use such information in accordance with the organizations WISP document;
- Ability to identify callers’ stories that can be helpful to campaigns and to the media;
- Other duties as required to achieve the goals of the department.
• Generous paid time off policy
• Robust benefits package
• Convenient downtown Boston location
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish and English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: email@example.com. Please put “HelpLine Counselor (Spanish/English)” in the subject line.
Health Care For All is an equal opportunity employer with a demonstrated commitment to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. Persons of color, persons with multilingual abilities, women, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. www.hcfama.org