District of Columbia
Press Secretary Job Description
The National Organization for Women (NOW) seeks a full-time Press Secretary.
NOW is dedicated to intersectional grassroots activism to lead societal change, promote feminist ideals and eliminate discrimination. The organization’s advocacy for women’s equality encompasses six core issues:
- reproductive rights and justice
- ending racism and achieving racial justice
- winning civil and human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA) people
- ending violence against women
- securing economic justice for all women
- amending the U.S. Constitution to include women’s equality
The Press Secretary pitches and books NOW spokesperson(s), sometimes on location with very little notice. Additionally, the Press Secretary develops and coordinates the process for publishing written materials that further NOW’s six core issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements a strategic messaging and media plan.
- With assistance from NOW’s PR firm, pitches stories to national and regional papers, magazines and long-form media outlets, TV and radio stations, online outlets, local media, as well as mainstream media outlets.
- Takes incoming inquiries from reporters and works with PR firm to coordinate response.
- Prepares talking points for NOW spokespersons.
- With communications team, drafts, revises and edits press releases, op-eds, newsletters, briefings, earned media plans, website and social media content.
- Coordinates approval and publication of press releases and other media content with communications team.
- Distributes statements and materials to media, actively pitching, booking NOW spokesperson(s), and placing op-eds.
- Helps maintain NOW’s press lists and reporter relationships. This position will also include outreach to diverse communities and audiences.
- Staffs NOW’s President when in the field.
- Supervises communications intern(s), training and assigning work in a developmentally appropriate manner.
- Work involves occasional irregular and/or unpredictable hours.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Political Science, or Marketing preferred and minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Hill experience or have worked on a political campaign experience as the primary contact for press for a national organization preferred, but not required.
- Experience pitching media and has relationships with producers and reporters. Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English.
- Ability to write, prepare and edit in a creative and clear manner under limited supervision.
- Experience with social media and integrated digital communications. Good oral communication skills which include public speaking.
- Basic photography, and familiarity with Photoshop or other graphic editing tools; a plus but not required.
NOW offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The position is based in Washington, DC.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter, a writing sample and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: “ATTN: Application for Press Secretary – Your Full Name.” Applications will not be considered without all requested information. No phone calls please.
NOW actively seeks applicants that reflect the diversity of our community. NOW is an equal employment opportunity organization and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of sex, race, age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital or parenting status, affectional or sexual orientation, or gender identity.