Details: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits.
Please note that our Manhattan office will be relocating to Industry City in Brooklyn, NY next year.
New York Preferred
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society, examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Vera’s Center on Immigration and Justice seeks an Associate Program Director to work in its New York office with its Unaccompanied Children Program – a national network that provides legal information and pro bono assistance to unaccompanied children in removal proceedings. The Unaccompanied Children Program is responsible for managing this network, including monitoring compliance with subcontracts, determining and promoting best practices, and providing technical assistance to legal services providers. The Associate Program Director work with the Program Director to manage program staff, coordinate program periodic reporting with the research team, and, and oversee the provision of contractual services across the national program.
The Associate Program Director duties may include the following:
- Along with the Program Director, serve as a reference point for program and Center staff on contractual and program related issues;
- Oversee the recruitment and training of new program staff, including creating and updating the onboarding materials;
- Manage relationships with multiple subcontractors, and other stakeholders, including the Office of Refugee Settlement;
- Develop and implement measures and processes to monitor contract compliance, including through analysis of program data and spending, in partnership with Regional Managers and the Program Director;
- Draft, negotiate, and monitor contracts with multiple subcontractor organizations and consultants;
- Support the Program Director and Regional Managers in assessing funding needs for the program on national and regional levels;
- Oversee and organize the preparation of reports to government partners;
- Support program and research staff on the program
- Ensure cohesive and comprehensive program policies and technical assistance activities for the network;
- Respond as needed to emergency requests from government partners;
- Creatively brainstorm solutions for challenges experienced by individual program sites;
- Represent the Center in public speaking engagements and at professional meetings;
- Supervise senior program associates and other project staff; and
- Assist on other projects as assigned.
Candidates must possess the following:
- A JD degree;
- At least eight years of legal, government, or policy work experience;
- Experience with overseeing a network of legal services providers;
- Deep knowledge of the work of Vera’s Center on Immigration and Justice;
- A demonstrated knowledge of immigration, child welfare, criminal or juvenile justice, or other justice areas;
- A desire to effectuate change in partnership with the government;
- Strong writing and research skills;
- Strong communication and facilitation skills;
- Strong data analysis skills;
- Ability to manage work on multiple projects effectively and efficiently;
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team, as well as to take initiative and manage projects independently;
- Ability to successfully balance travel responsibilities with office-based responsibilities;
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in Spanish (proficiency in other languages is a plus);
- Willingness to travel;
- A valid driver’s license;
- Experience representing detained immigrants and/or children is a strong plus; and
- Experience with “know your rights” and other community education initiatives are a strong plus.
Commensurate with experience with excellent benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Online submission in PDF format is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources / CIJ APD Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10279 Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera, visit our website at www.vera.org
We want to be an employer of choice in our field, and supporting Vera staff—both personally and professionally—is a priority. To do this, we provide:
- Regular reviews of our salary structure to ensure that we are at or above market rate
- Training and learning opportunities with leaders in our field
- Eight weeks paid family leave and other generous time off benefits
- Comprehensive insurance coverage, including medical and dental, life and accidental death, and disability
- A retirement savings plan, including employer contributions and the opportunity for your own tax-advantaged savings
- Tuition reimbursement and publication incentives
Minimum Education Required