Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
Facilitated by Literacy Inc., the "Reads Initiative" is a collaboration of 10 community based organizations that share the goal of promoting the importance of reading as a tool for academic success. The Community Organizer builds relationships with key stakeholders to create linkages with residents, local businesses, community-based organizations, local/city politicians and other entities. The Community Organizer serves as field facilitator of initiative-wide efforts and implements organizing strategies to mobilize community assets in support of families and children. In addition to providing operational and administrative support, the Community Organizer gathers and communicates referral information, and calendar of community events.
Design and implement Community Organizing Strategies
- Develop systems to track and analyze organizing and outreach efforts with local businesses, community-based organization, and local/city politicians.
- Refine our organizing efforts and strategies to strengthen community engagement through the initiative advocacy campaign and library incentive programs.
- Canvassing neighborhoods across South Jamaica, Queens and/or East New York, Brooklyn.
- Build neighborhood awareness by distributing monthly activity calendars and brochures, and posting advocacy poster throughout the community, including local businesses.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders across South Jamaica, Queens and/or East New York, Brooklyn on behalf of LINC and the Reads initiative by identifying shared ideas and opportunities for collaboration.
- Work collaboratively with LINC staff to implement organization efforts.
Activity Management and Administrative tasks
- Provide limited support the New York City Literacy Network with their community-based projects, meetings, events and special programs.
- Provide support to the Project Director and Associate Director with administrative tasks, when needed.
- Track and prepare weekly outreach activity reports to share with LINC staff.
- Data entry of outreach efforts using Salesforce.
- Collects, organizes, updates and publishes community literacy resource and referral information.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
High School Diploma required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Knowledge about the importance of literacy is a plus.
Experience working with the New York City school system and/or community organizing a plus.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal.
Good analytical, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
Strong time and task management skills.
Respect for economic and cultural diversity, experience working with diverse groups of people.
Ability to work independently and as a member of a diverse team.
New York State valid Driver’s License required.
Must be able to pass DOE background check, fingerprinting and vetting process required.
Please send a cover letter and resume detailing your specific qualifications and skills for this position to Al Reynolds, Project Director of Neighborhood Initiatives, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language desired
Minimum Education Required