- Reports to: General Counsel
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Legal
- Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 8
- Minimum compensation: $110,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Counsel on its in-house legal team. The Legal team manages legal and compliance matters for both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and educational think tank, as well as its affiliated organization, the Center for American Progress Action Fund—a 501(c)(4) organization.
The Legal team advises both organizations on a broad array of legal issues, including nonprofit tax, lobbying, ethics, corporate governance, intellectual property, data privacy, media, employment, and contract law. It designs and implements legal compliance procedures and works with management, staff, and consultants to respond to daily legal needs and help ensure ongoing compliance in a fast-paced and mission-driven environment.
- Draft, review, and interpret contracts—including grant agreements—between American Progress and third parties.
- Review papers, press releases, and other American Progress work products to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
- Help staff plan and structure new projects in compliance with applicable law.
- Assist with development and implementation of internal compliance and tracking measures, including time sheets and legal guidance.
- Conduct trainings for staff on legal rules and compliance procedures.
- Assist with board meetings and other corporate governance issues.
- Assist with resolving routine and novel legal issues or questions.
Requirements and qualifications:
- License to practice law.
- J.D. and at least one year of experience.
- Preferred candidates will have experience in 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit law, though this is not required. Knowledge of government lobbying and ethics, media, employment, and/or intellectual property law is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work on broad topics and balance multiple projects at once.
- Positive attitude and team-oriented ethic.
- Sense of humor.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $110,000 and is not represented by the union.