Human Resources Manager
**Open to Guatemalan Nationals or Internationals with residence and valid work permit in Guatemala (mandatory)**
Mayan Families is a growing and vibrant registered 501.c.3 nonprofit organization that provides opportunities and assistance to indigenous and impoverished people of the Western Highlands of Guatemala through a wide variety of programs that focus on education and sustainable community development. We are proud to employ a workforce that is over 80% indigenous Maya. The remaining 20% are expatriate staff.
The Human Resources Manager oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of HR functions including strategic staffing plans, compensation, benefits, training and development, performance management, and labor relations. This position reports to the Mayan Families Executive Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Human Resources Manager performs a wide range of duties including:
Management of the Human Resources Function
- Oversee the implementation of Human Resources programs;
- Monitor administration of established standards and procedures;
- Identify opportunities for improvement and resolve any discrepancies;
- Develop and monitor an annual budget that includes Human Resources services, staff member recognition, administration, and professional development;
- Ensure the alignment of the workforce with the mission of Mayan Families;
- Maintain an HRIS to document all employee related records.
Training, Development, and Performance Management
- Define all Human Resources training programs. Provide necessary education and materials to managers and staff members including workshops and handbooks;
- Create and conduct a formal Orientation (or onboarding) Program;
- Lead the implementation of the performance management system, including performance improvement planning;
- Research external professional development opportunities for managerial staff and maintain a budget to support it;
- Maintain system for tracking training records and performance reviews;
- Assist with the development of a training budget and monitoring expenses.
Employment and Employee Relations
- Define and lead the standard recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire staff members;
- Responsible for approving/denying headcount requests;
- Participate in any staff member selection committees or meetings;
- Partner with management to communicate Human Resource policies, procedures, and programs;
- Guide managers for employment termination;
- Lead the implementation of safety and health programs;
- Investigate and resolve staff grievances;
- Ensure that health and safety practices are followed;
- Conduct exit interviews.
Compensation, Benefits, and Compliance
- Recommend changes in wage and salary structure, pay policies, and oversees the variable pay systems within the organization including bonuses and raises;
- Oversee all pay practices and systems for effectiveness;
- Conducts local area best practice compensation and benefits survey on an annual basis;
- Lead Mayan Families compliance with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements.
- Recommends new programs that might increase employee retention and satisfaction.
- Provide leadership in creating organization structures that clearly supports the Mayan Families Mission Statement;
- Coordinate the process of succession planning with existing leadership team;
- Monitor the culture and the general level of employee satisfaction through the use of an annual employee opinion survey;
- Maintain an appropriate overall headcount that aligns with the budget;
- Conduct a continuing study of all Human Resource policies, programs, and practices to keep management informed of new developments.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources management or related area
- At least 2 years of successful experience as HR Officer with proven skills in training, recruiting, and compliance
- Proven financial and management skills
- Ability to garner trust and respect and leadership through business knowledge and professionalism
- Strong technical and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and deal effectively with sensitive situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, complex and rapidly growing/changing work environment
- Takes initiative; offering innovative solutions to the team for global human resources issues and driving execution. Assumes leadership role for projects.
- Strives for creating results with a hands-on mentality and manage to set priorities
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Open to Guatemalan Nationals or Internationals with residence and valid work permit in Guatemala (mandatory)**
- Knowledge about Guatemalan working laws is an asset
- Experience managing an HR function responsible for a staff of greater than 50 employees.
- Experience living abroad and working with a cross-cultural team, preferably in a developing country
- Excellent cross-cultural skills
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All interested candidates should send their CV AND cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying their last salary. The subject for the email should be"Human Resources Manager-LAST NAME".
This position needs to be filled as soon as possible. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
*ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED*
For more information about Mayan Families and its projects we encourage you to visit our website https://www.mayanfamilies.org