130 Bishop Allen Drive
You’re a leader who can write compelling proposals and manage Root Capital’s grant process for institutional donors. Working closely with executive leadership, you will enthusiastically help the team achieve Root Capital’s annual and long-term fundraising targets. This position will have a leadership role in the department, helping to design and build a stronger grant management process while also managing grant writer associates.
Team Management and Process Improvements - 30%
- Collaborate with relationship managers, finance and program staff to build a sustainable and scalable grant management program that relies on a coordinated, three-part team structure: relationship management, grant operations, and grant writing and reporting.
- Manage the grant writing and reporting team, ensuring equitable workloads across the team, timely performance feedback and career development plans.
- Oversee the production and review of proposals and reports, to ensure all deliverables are submitted to donors on time, meeting both internal and external requirements and deadlines.
- Build consensus with both internal stakeholders and funders to refine proposal and report strategies, messaging and framing.
- Maintain detailed records of the proposal and grant management process.
- Develop and continuously improve team processes as well as shared language that reflects Root Capital’s emerging high-level strategies and goals.
Grant Proposal Development - 40%
- Assume primary responsibility for the development of complex proposals for new and renewal grants.
- Manage and oversee timely completion of all grant proposals including workflow, writing and approval process.
- Write persuasive proposals and concept papers.
- Translate emerging strategies into compelling, cohesive narratives about Root Capital’s growth. Develop best-in-class messaging and content to substantiate our vision and strategy.
- Gather necessary financial and impact data from Root Capital program and operations teams.
- Coordinate packaging and submittal of proposals.
- Coach junior team members on planning and project management concerning proposal and reporting deadlines. Provide coaching and editorial/review support to newer writers.
Grant Reporting - 30%
- Developing strategic messaging around Root Capital results, lessons learned, and forward-looking implications.
- Create high-quality grant reports according to specifications of donor contracts.
- Coordinate gathering of information on program implementation across Root Capital teams and regions.
- Manage third-party vendor relationship with respect to grant research and report writing support.
- Mentor team members on developing strong report writing and strategic messaging skills.
Skills and Experience
- 4-6 years of work experience in fundraising or related programmatic experience, including specialized knowledge of foundation fundraising best practices and proposal development.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, business or nonprofit management, or other relevant discipline.
- At least 3 years’ experience managing staff in grant programs.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively explain complex programs in clear, persuasive language.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and professional maturity; able to work independently, yet knows when to seek support.
- Superlative organization, attention to detail, and project management skills.
- Manage complex projects from start to finish while navigating information gaps and uncertainty.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues in different departments and regions.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, juggle multiple priorities and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Spanish language proficiency preferred.
Commensurate with experience
Applications and Nominations
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply using the form below as soon as possible, making sure to include a resume and cover letter that describes your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position. Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
Root Capital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Minimum Education Required