Details: AmeriCorps members receive a stipend of $15,105 for 1700 hours of service as well as a $5,920 education award at the completion of their service. The education award can be used to pay for previous or future education costs.
3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 103
SquashWise seeks candidates motivated to make an impact on youth in Baltimore through athletics, fitness and mentoring. As an AmeriCorps member through Up2Us, the Fitness & Coaching Assistant will provide logistical and direct service support at SquashWise’s after-school and weekend sessions consisting of squash coaching, fitness, tutoring, and mentoring. The position is an AmeriCorps service role with a minimum of 1700 hours over the course of 10-12 months. Possibilities for future full-time employment may exist after service term is complete, depending on availability of positions at SquashWise and coach performance.
• Ensure high quality practice sessions by providing inspirational support and coaching.
• Lead the logistics of safe practice sessions including supervising students in entering and exiting the building and walking through the building to our practice locations.
• Serve as a fitness and/or squash coach at the squash courts and in the classroom as an academic coach. (Note: squash experience is not required, but is an asset).
• Transport students in one of SquashWise's vehicles.
• Recruit volunteers, provide volunteer training, and ensure a positive experience for volunteers and students (goal is to recruit 15 volunteers throughout the service year).
• Chaperone students on field trips including squash tournaments, college visits, and cultural outings in Baltimore and beyond.
• Maintain equipment for effective squash and classroom sessions.
Additionally, the AmeriCorps Up2Us Fitness & Coaching Assistant will:
• Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events
• Perform data collection activities, as directed by your Up2Us Sports Program Manager
• Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served
Up2Us AmeriCorps Coaches must complete the following requirements to ensure successful completion of the AmeriCorps program:
• Completion of the minimum required hours of service and training by last day of coach contract (1700 hours)
• Attendance at the Up2Us Coach orientation
• Completion of bi-weekly timesheets
• Attendance at a day of service
• Attend/participate in Up2Us Sports trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
• Attend Coach Training Institute
SquashWise is a long-term support system creating opportunities for aspiring youth in Baltimore. We help students realize their academic, athletic, and personal potential by combining intensive academic tutoring and mentoring with coaching in the sport of squash. We are based on the very successful model of squash & education programs located in 19 cities across the country. Squash experience is not required for this position, though squash-experienced candidates are encouraged to apply.
About the Up2Us Coach Program:
Founded in 2010, Up2Us Sports is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring youth to achieve their potential by providing them with coaches trained in positive youth development. We do this by identifying, training and supporting coaches in their communities who bring sports-based youth development to the most underserved communities. The Up2Us Coach and Up2Us Training programs empower youth-based organizations across the country to become a united force for meaningful change. Up2Us Coach is the first national service program to identify and train young adults to coach and mentor kids in low income communities. Coaches are trained in youth development and mentoring strategies to promote physical activity, healthy living, and good decision making, while cultivating caring, trust-based relationships with the youth they serve.
About AmeriCorps State and National:
AmeriCorps State and National programs provide thousands of Americans each year the opportunity to improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. Funded by the Corporation of National and Community Service (CNCS), a federal agency, AmeriCorps works hand in hand with local partners, tapping the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing our nation.
CNCS invests in thousands of nonprofit and faith-based groups that are making a difference across the country. Up2Us Sports is a proud member of the AmeriCorps community. AmeriCorps members are not employees of SquashWise or of the federal government. The definition of "participant" in the National and Community Service Act of 1990 as amended applies to AmeriCorps members. As such, "a participant (member) shall not be considered to be an employee of the Program in which the participant (member) is enrolled" ((42 U.S.C. 12511(30) (B)). Moreover, members are not allowed to perform an employee's duties or otherwise displace employees, and therefore generally not eligible to receive unemployment compensation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SquashWise is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The most important characteristic is to be mission-driven with a desire to work with youth from challenging neighborhoods. We seek candidates with excellent interpersonal, communication, and time management skills which are necessary to juggle multiple responsibilities and maintain strong relationships with students, parents, volunteers, and teachers. Strong candidates will bring experience working with youth and the ability to create strong rapport with adolescents and their families. Squash experience is not a requirement for the position, though squash players are encouraged to apply.
Additional requirements include:
• Current driver’s license and clean driving record; three years of driving experience required. No commercial driver’s license is required.
• Pass a criminal history background check.
• AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents.
• AmeriCorps Members must be 18 years old, or 17 with written parental/guardian consent.
• AmeriCorps members must have, or be working toward a High School diploma, GED, or its equivalent.
Restrictions on eligibility for benefits:
If a candidate has participated In:
• Two full-time service terms or their equivalent, the candidate will be ineligible for a third Education Award or other in-service and after-service benefits.
Additionally, a candidate cannot serve if:
• Failed to disclose to Up2Us Sports any history of having been released for compelling personal circumstances or for cause from another AmeriCorps program, this will render him/her ineligible to receive the Education Award and may render the Coach ineligible for service with the Program.
• Released for cause from another AmeriCorps program but was released having performed satisfactorily, the candidate may still be eligible for participation in the Program. However, this eligibility does not guarantee selection or placement.
• Served four AmeriCorps National Direct or State service terms previously, regardless of whether those terms were served on a full or part-time basis. The candidate is ineligible to serve after four terms.
In addition to the stipend ($15,105) and education award ($5,920), health insurance will be provided via AmeriCorps. The coach will receive generous vacation time and will be a part of a dynamic and inspiring working culture. The coach will also receive training provided by Up2Us and SquashWise, as opportunities for professional growth.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Up2Us AmeriCorps Fitness & Coaching Assistant" as the subject line.