<img src="https://yearup.csod.com/clientimg/yearup/logo/Logo1_b83bc4cb-f7dd-4271-be37-ac91ff1eb156.gif" alt=""/>
Title: Manager of Institutional Giving (Bay Area, CA)
Office: Bay Area, CA
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Career Stage: Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Manager of Institutional Giving (Bay Area, CA) will lead all fundraising activities related to foundation, corporate foundation and government grants, and to build strong relationships with a portfolio of those donors at the four and five-figure level. The Manager of Institutional Giving (Bay Area, CA) will operate as a frontline fundraiser and project manager, as well as shepherd the foundation pipeline from prospects to relationships to compliance and reporting, in support of the Year Up mission and ongoing operations and strategic initiatives.
To be successful in this role, you will bring a track record for designing and implementing fundraising strategies for institutional funders, and experience building and maintaining donor relations. You will feel at home working in an environment that requires you to juggle multiple priorities and competing deadlines, while never losing sight of the overarching goals and desired outcomes. An ideal candidate for this role will possess strong written and verbal communication skills, project management skills to effectively leverage grant writing services, and the interpersonal skills needed to work effectively with diverse audiences.
The Manager of Institutional Giving (Bay Area, CA) will also interact with students as a mentor, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in building a positive educational environment.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
- Identify grant-making and corporate philanthropy prospects with a target of $25,000 or more.
- Manage a portfolio of 100-150 foundation donors and conduct 150+ visits per year, with a focus on building strong, sustainable relationships, with collaboration of national institutional solicitors with collaboration of national institutional solicitors
- Steward relationships with existing foundation partners, securing and coordinating pertinent information and meetings, and developing effective relationships with potential supporters
- Orchestrate grant submittals in collaboration with grant-writer to produce creative grant proposals that include rational and emotionally compelling articulation of Year Up's mission and success metrics
- Collaborate with program and senior staff in the preparation and presentation of the organization in prospect relationships, stewardship activities, and proposal development, management and reporting
- Coordinate corporate philanthropy & relationship management with Corporate Engagement; Execute on sponsorship recognition deliverables. Collaborate across teams to fulfill reporting requirements, ensuring that all deadlines and budgetary goals are met
- Establish and implement systems to ensure effective grant-writing processes, including application and reporting tracking , producing creative collateral, and compiling reports
- Research and identify new sources of private and corporate foundation funding in conjunction with Prospect Researchers
- Other duties as assigned
Site Team/Learning Community Member
- Serve as a coach/mentor for a small number of current students
- Join and sometimes facilitate weekly group sessions with students
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings
- 3+ years of professional foundations relations and/or individual donor experience, preferably in an entrepreneurial nonprofit environment
- Demonstrated comfort and experience with identifying, cultivating, stewarding, and closing significant gifts.
- Ability to successfully engage, cultivate, and steward long-term partnerships that will ensure the philanthropic success of Year Up.
- Communications skills sufficient for clearly discussing complex issues with diverse audiences and energizing listeners.
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint. Experience in Salesforce or donor database preferred.
- Preexisting knowledge of and experience working with the local philanthropic community
- Strong customer service skills with excellent follow up and follow through
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and ability to adapt to the fast pace of a high performing team
- Excellent time management, project management, attention to detail and organizational skills
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player
- Self-starter with ability to get up to speed quickly and work effectively with little direction or supervision
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, and development databases, Salesforce preferred
- A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
- Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
- Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization striving to close the Opportunity Divide by providing young adults ages 18-24 with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive program, Year Up utilizes a high support, high expectations model that combines hands-on technical and professional skills, educational stipends, college-level coursework, and corporate internships at more than 250 top companies.
Year Up currently serves young adults in Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, the National Capital Region, New York City, Philadelphia, Providence, Puget Sound, San Francisco Bay Area, South Florida, and Wilmington and will serve more than 3,000 students in 2017 nationwide.
Voted one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For in the country by The Non-Profit Times for six consecutive years, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people.
Year Up participates in E-Verify.
Please visit http://www.yearup.org/careers to learn more about working at Year Up, and to see a list of current opportunities.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Year Up actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to our young adults as we work to close the Opportunity Divide. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive and supportive work environment. Learn more about our commitment to diversity:http://www.yearup.org/about-us/careers/commitment-to-diversity/
As an equal opportunity employer, Year Up is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.
Minimum Education Required