50 East 168th Street
Title: Director of Real Estate
Location: 50 East 168th Street, Bronx NY 10452
Reports to: Senior Vice President
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
Job Summary: The Director of Real Estate manages WHEDco’s real estate portfolio.
- Asset management of WHEDco’s real estate portfolio, consisting of two buildings with 260 dwelling units and 30,000 SF of commercial space. Oversee a third-party property managing agent. Supervise budgeting, predict and plan capital expenditures. Respond to reporting and compliance requests from funding agencies. Prepare periodic asset management reports for relevant board committees.
- Oversee residential and commercial renovations of WHEDco’s real estate portfolio. Secure funding for minor capital improvements from public and private sources. Coordinate professionals including architects, attorneys, engineers and general contractors.
- Together with a joint venture partner, oversee marketing and lease up of a 305-unit development with 25,000 SF commercial/community facility space.
- Coordinate with architect, contractor/project manager in the new construction of a 14,000 SF arts facility.
- Oversee WHEDco’s sustainability and green building efforts, including a cogeneration plant and a rooftop farm. Secure operating cost reductions through agency incentive programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in real estate, business, accounting or an undergraduate degree with certificates in a related field such as asset management or construction management.
- At least 5 years of project/asset management experience, preferably with affordable housing.
- Master’s degree candidates with 3 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Commitment to community development and work in low-income communities.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to one of the following:
Mail: WHEDco, 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452
Attn: Jonathan Springer
Application Deadline: October 15, 2018
Minimum Education Required