Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) provides free legal services to people who cannot afford an attorney. Each year, we serve approximately 30,000 clients who have been charged with a crime, are facing child welfare allegations or who are in deportation proceedings. BDS also provides legal assistance and representation for clients with housing, education, benefits, immigration and employment issues.
BDS has more than 450 employees - including more than 300 attorneys, social workers and investigators – whose jobs involve meeting with clients and their families, including in detention facilities; interviewing witnesses; assisting clients to engage in appropriate services; and representing clients in court. As courts and other businesses open up with New York State’s implementation of more open phases, many of these functions will have to be performed in person and/or in our offices.
The Health and Safety of our employees is a core value at BDS. We are uncompromising in our commitment to the health and safety of our employees, subcontractors, clients, and community. Providing health and safety leadership is a fundamental part of our business and we require individual accountability at every level. Brooklyn Defender Services is committed to being a leader in safety training as well as health safety best practices and keeping our employees informed about the safety and health of our work as well as current safety issues, rules, and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The BDS Health & Safety Manager (HSM) will be responsible for implementing health and safety policies – particularly those resulting from Covid-19 and any other national crisis or emergency that may arise – to ensure a safe and healthy work environment. BDS has 7 office locations concentrated in downtown Brooklyn with 1 office in Brownsville. BDS staff also work in the courts in Brooklyn and the immigration courts in Manhattan, and they work with our clients in the community and in detention facilities.
The HSM will be the organization’s point person for workplace health and safety issues. The HSM will report to BDS’ senior management team. Specific responsibilities include –
• Create a “best practices” guidance document for review and approval by the senior management team. Maintain documentation for approved practices and updates, as required.
• Keeps abreast of applicable laws, regulations, advisory notices, OSHA rules, and CDC advice, particularly as they relate to Covid-19 (and any other national health and safety emergency or crisis that may arise).
• Regularly inspects the facility to identify health and safety risks, and to provide guidance and oversight to ensure compliance.
• Develops health and safety procedures for all office locations and for off-site work, including visits to the community, hospitals and detention facilities.
• Develops and implements inspection policies and procedures, and a schedule of routine inspections. Ensures that required data sheets are maintained and readily accessible when needed.
• Prepares and schedules trainings for the senior management team and all staff on health and safety planning, procedures, and other relevant topics.
• Monitors compliance with safety procedures and implements solutions.
• Drafts inspection reports to document inspection findings.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Extensive knowledge of workplace health and safety regulations and policies, especially in professional settings.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Proficient in technology and equipment used in environmental inspections.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
• OSHA and/or NSC Certification preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, or related field preferred.
• 3+ years of related experience preferred.
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) provides free legal services to people who cannot afford an attorney. Each year, we serve approximately 30,000 clients who have been charged with a crime, are facing child welfare allegations or who…