Position: Events and Engagement Manager
This position is an exempt role
About the Fiver Children’s Foundation
Founded in 1998, the Fiver Children's Foundation is a comprehensive youth development organization that makes a 10-year commitment to children from underserved communities throughout the New York area. Through character-building summer and year-round out-of-school time programs, Fiver empowers children to make ethical and healthy decisions, to become engaged citizens, and to succeed in school, careers, and life. With a budget of just over $2 million (and growing!), Fiver is seeking a thoughtful and enthusiastic learner to fill the newly created role of Events and Engagement Manager.
Events and Engagement Manager – Position Overview
Fiver is seeking an Events and Engagement Manager who deeply believes in creating a level playing field for youth from marginalized communities. The manager will provide engaging donor experiences through supporting the exceptional execution of donor events and volunteer opportunities. They will work with the Director of Development to create new systems to steward first-time donor, major donor, and planned giving donor relationships, and recapture lapsed donors. They will also oversee volunteer recruitment and placement, leveraging volunteerism as a key donor engagement tool. They will support the execution of Fiver’s Annual Benefit, which has grown to raise a significant share of Fiver’s budget, raising $925,000 in spring 2021. This position is part of Fiver’s development team and reports directly to the Director of Development. The manager will interact regularly with our program staff, participants, and families in our midtown Manhattan office and on occasional visits to our camp in central New York during the summer.
Volunteer Management (30%)
- Recruit, screen, onboard, and assign volunteers.
- Conduct volunteer orientation for new volunteers.
- Work with program staff to assess needs for volunteers at core program events
- In collaboration with Development Director, create and execute volunteer plan and assignments for annual benefit
- Attend volunteer recruitment events as needed to represent Fiver
- In collaboration with the Development Manager or Development Director, manage logistics of volunteer opportunities for corporate volunteer groups, junior board, and board of directors
Donor Relations (35%)
- Leverage volunteer opportunities as a means of engagement, especially with first-time donors
- Manage and execute all aspects of the annual summer camp thank you mailing including mailing list generation, review and selection of camper thank you letters, printing, and personalization by Executive Director.
- In collaboration with Director of Development, create other opportunities to thank donors throughout the year (notes from participants, graduation photos, etc.), both via direct mail and email as appropriate.
- In collaboration with Director of Development, create outreach plans for different aspects of our donor constituency (first-time donors, major donors, volunteers, planned giving donors, etc)
Events Management (35%)
- Support planning and execution of Fiver’s Annual Benefit including vendor relations, event timeline, invitation mailing, and implementation of event marketing design across electronic platforms and in print, creating/updating templates for sponsor and auction outreach, volunteer recruitment and staffing planning, procurement, and delivery of auction items, and other related tasks as needed.
- Manage logistics of cultivation events throughout the year including invitation design, email outreach/reminders, setting up zoom links (in the case of virtual), working with vendors (in the case of in-person), overseeing check-in, etc.
- Support Fiver Advocates’ event logistics in coordination with Development Manager.
- Support Executive Director with logistics of annual Board Retreat at Camp Fiver.
- Write post-event blog posts for marketing purposes.
- Work with Development Associate to ensure attendance, pledges, in-kind, and cash donations are entered in Raiser’s Edge and gifts acknowledged in a timely fashion.
Core Competencies and Qualifications
- 3+ years of related work experience.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to inform donors, event attendees, etc in a clear and compelling manner
- Ability to multitask and work well in a team, as well as independently.
- Motivated, “can do” attitude, friendly personality, quick learner, and a desire to take initiative.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, and able to work within tight deadlines
- Able to work collaboratively with all levels of staff, donors, and community partners
- A high level of computer literacy required, including familiarity with funding software (Raiser’s Edge or similar database), Microsoft Office, social media platforms (Facebook & Instagram), Canva, and Google Suite.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and active participation in growing one’s knowledge and understanding in these areas.
Fiver Children’s Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. Candidates who identify as BIPOC or other historically marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. To ensure the health and safety of our staff and the communities we serve, Fiver has mandated that all staff must be vaccinated for COVID19, subject to any accommodations required by law.