3803 N. Fairfax Dr.
What started as a small group of families gathered around a kitchen table in 1979 has blossomed into the nation’s leading voice on mental health. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
Today, we are an alliance of more than 800 local affiliates, state organizations and a national office who work in communities across the United States to raise awareness and provide support and education that was not previously available to those in need. NAMI advocates for all who are affected by mental illness, both the individuals and the people in their lives. In particular, we do not rest until we remedy injustices and intervene early to prevent needless loss of quality of life. In addition to being advocates, we educate, we listen, and we lead as evidenced by our public awareness campaigns, the range of numerous programs we provide, and our strong public policy.
WHAT’S ATTRACTIVE TO THE RIGHT CANDIDATE:
We are currently seeking a Manager of Mental Health Policy. This position is responsible
for researching and developing NAMI’s policy priorities related to improving the lives of people with mental health conditions. The Manager will also support NAMI’s overall policy efforts by conducting research and analysis on leading policy issues and executing strategies to advance NAMI’s policy priorities.
NAMI has a dynamic and collaborative policy team that is driven to address injustices and build better lives for people with mental health conditions and their families. Your work will help advance NAMI’s policy priorities and support the growth of NAMI’s advocacy movement.
This position is expected to:
- Provide research and analysis of mental health-related policy issues and develop policy positions;
- Create policy resources that inform and empower grassroots advocates and leaders to articulate NAMI’s positions; and
- Execute strategies that advance NAMI’s policy priorities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts legislative, economic, and policy analyses related to coverage and services for people with mental health conditions
- Tracks, researches and analyzes legislation, legislative proposals, and regulation related to NAMI policy priorities and provides recommendations for NAMI’s involvement
- Articulates policy positions in compelling position statements, issue briefs, fact sheets, and other policy-related documents
- Writes succinct and actionable memoranda, policy tools, presentations, and reports on mental health-related policy issues
- Reviews peer-reviewed literature to produce assessments of evidence-based strategies
- Supports the development of strategies to promote NAMI policy priorities and respond to time-sensitive opportunities at the state and federal level, with an emphasis on Medicaid, mental health parity, mental health service delivery and integration of care
- Works with the Field Advocacy team to develop policy resources for NAMI state and NAMI affiliate organizations
- Develops and sustains strategic relationships with key national and state coalitions and stakeholders on mental health and related policy priorities
- Writes and posts timely news items and web content on leading policy and advocacy issues
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Three to five years of experience in relevant field; advanced degree preferred
- Knowledge of issues related to mental health policy
- Ability to analyze and evaluate legislation and regulations
- Ability to develop impactful policy and advocacy materials for lay audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to time-sensitive issues
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and across teams
- Experience in forging collaborative and effective relationships
This position is based in Arlington, VA.
Must pass background check.
Minimum Education Required