NEW YORK, NY OPERATIONS – FINANCE FULL TIME
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Senior Manager, Finance & Grants. The incumbent will be responsible for management of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA)’s restricted funds portfolio representing over $140 million annually and 325+ grants and awards. He/she works closely with PPFA’s program and development leadership to budget for and manage donor-supported programs that are feasible, sustainable and effective. He/she proactively works to strengthens PPFA’s capacity to respond to financial challenges through analysis and reporting to enable strategic decision making at the senior leadership level. He/she is shares responsibility for external and internal reporting and analysis with the Associate Director, Financial Analysis and Reporting. In partnership with the Controller, Deputy CFO, and Senior Budget Director, he/she proactively identifies and implements systems, process, controls, and compliance improvements for the management and accounting of restricted funds. He/she will play a key role in designing new financial reports and rollout of a new reporting tool (FY18-19), including design and development of financial dashboards to inform and empower senior leadership and the Board of Directors to make data driven decisions and projections. As PPFA upgrades financial systems and implements new systems and interfaces to other systems (payroll, travel card, HR systems, contracts, banking), the Senior Manger Finance and Grants will play a key role in functional analysis, design, testing, and implementation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partners with Senior Budget Director and Senior Grants Manager to manage annual budget/mid-year reforecast process.
- Advises the Senior Budget Director, Deputy CFO, and Controller regarding restricted funding balances and spending.
- Partners with the Programs and Development to develop and review proposal budgets.
- Ensures grants and contract budgets align with institutional budgets and forecasts. Monitors and ensure reconciliation of contributions payable.
- Masters financial reporting and modeling tools and provides leadership to the organization in standard and ad hoc financial reporting and analytics for key stakeholders and internal/external initiatives.
- Reporting and analysis of restricted fund revenue, expenses, and budgets to inform strategic decision-making for senior management.
- Design and development of reports and dashboards in the new reporting tool working with the Finance Systems Manager.
- Forecasting and analyses at portfolio and program levels, including but not limited to grant receivable cash flow, net asset balance projections, and grant related schedules to support program and leadership decision making.
- Identification and elimination of unnecessary complexity within financial processes and systems and development of better ways of working.
- New initiatives (e.g. implementation of Quickbooks/Sage in PP Global offices) including system configuration, staff training, and ongoing monitoring.
- Ensures ownership and management of these initiatives/systems/processes is transferred to the appropriate staff and oversight is ongoing.
- Carries out and/or leads major data conversion or data cleanup/rationalization across systems.
- Review of all restricted gift documentation and manages the gift database and details for financial tracking of revenue and expense.
- Review and approval of all national contract requests across the organization.
- Backup support to the Senior Grants Manager in regular meetings with budget directors, program leaders, and Development to review restricted fund balances and budget vs actuals, and ensure proposal and reporting deadlines and restrictions are met.
- Financial oversight of all phases of grant programs from award through close out, including grant and contract administration, reporting, budget compliance and contract adherence.
- Management of grant risks, donor financial compliance, and reporting.
- Training to PPFA staff on grants and contracts management processes and policies.
- PPFA sub-contract and sub-grant agreements and RFP applications to ensure compliance with terms of contract and grant agreements between PPFA and its funders.
- Works closely with finance staff during annual audit to ensure restricted funds balances and details are transmitted to the auditors in a timely manner with appropriate backup.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- B.A. degree required; Masters degree in related field highly desired.
- Experience in non-profit financial or grants management in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Demonstrated knowledge of compliance and GAAP accounting for restricted funds.
- Experience in management of international grants a plus.
- Strong data analysis and report development skills required, advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel including pivot tables/management of large data sets.
- Building data visualizations and dashboards and systems/database design a plus. Experience developing proposal budgets for foundation, governmental, and bilateral donors a plus.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; tact, patience, diplomacy and integrity. Experience in guiding change management on an institutional level a plus. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to manage multiple demands, prioritize tasks. and work independently.
- A flexible and adaptive approach to working with colleagues.
- Sense of humor.
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Minimum Education Required