Full Time Temporary
The Financial Clinic (the “Clinic”) is a nonprofit on a mission to build financial security and increase financial mobility for America's working poor.
After 12 years, The Financial Clinic has demonstrated a “gold standard” model for building financial security for working poor families. A high-performing organization with a focus on results, the Clinic has put over $70 million back in the pockets of more than 47,000 customers, supported more than 360 organizations in 30 states and districts embed financial security actions into their program models, and successfully launched several policy campaigns in support of working poor families. A landmark national study shows the Clinic’s model of financial coaching helps working poor families move toward financial security.
The Clinic seeks two detail-oriented, enthusiastic, and reliable 529 Enrollment Specialists to join our team to help embed education savings programs in our tax sites in East Harlem, the Lower East Side, Queens, and Brooklyn. Extensive training on 529 college savings accounts will be provided, so a passion for education and a willingness to learn are more important than previous experience with these savings vehicles. This is a temporary position running from March to mid-April 2018 and requiring availability on evenings and Saturdays. Proficiency in Spanish, Cantonese, and/or Mandarin, though not required, is highly desired.
Position Supervisor: The 529 Enrollment Specialist reports to the Assistant Director of Services.
- Opening 529 accounts for tax filers at tax sites
- Educate taxpayers on the benefits of 529 accounts
- Act as the primary day-to-day contact for interested taxpayers to open 529 accounts
- Ensure that the taxpayer understands the eligible expenses for a 529 account
- Address any taxpayer concerns that arise from opening an account
- Implement any asset-building or financial coaching initiatives as requested by the Clinic
- Track opened 529 accounts
- Regularly update the Assistant Director of Services on progress of enrollments at each site
- Provide trainings to other tax site staff to ensure implementation of the 529 enrollment program is embedded throughout the entire site
- Willingness to learn about 529 accounts
- Ability to work Saturdays and evenings Tuesday through Friday
- Proven experience managing relationships with diverse clients and on-site partner organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team both in person and remotely
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion while handling sensitive, confidential taxpayer information
- Extremely comfortable and experienced with technology
- Proven experience in providing exceptional customer service with compassion and patience in high volume, sometimes high stress environments
- Reliable, resilient, and adaptable
- Enthusiasm for the mission of The Financial Clinic and the population served
- Proficiency in Spanish, Cantonese, or Mandarin highly desirable
Salary: The position will pay $18.00/hour and is eligible for performance-based bonuses.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application: If the applicant has prior knowledge of 529 accounts, the cover letter should display that experience. All cover letters should display clear commitment to education and working poor families’ financial matters, as well as convey the candidate’s ability to learn quickly and thrive in fast-paced environments. Cover letters should be addressed to Alyssa Keil, Assistant Director of Services.