Position: Director of Civic Engagement (Full Time, Remote)
Organization: Accelerate Change
Reports to: Lea Madry, Chief of Staff
Direct Reports: Digital Media Project Manager (to be hired) and a growing team over time
Location: Full-time, 100% remote position (from home or co-working space) with occasional travel once every 2-3 months (post-COVID)
COVID-19: We take Covid-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our Covid safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
About Accelerate Change
Founded in 2012, Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) digital media lab. We work to increase civic engagement with BIPOC and low-income communities through digital media. Our programs include:
- Scaling emerging cultural media properties
- Investing in established cultural media properties
- Building influencer networks
- Leading a digital media lab
- Driving civic engagement campaigns
Learn more about our theory of change, approach, and impact at https://acceleratechange.org/about/
Our team is made up of digital media innovators and operators who bring a mix of tech, business, civic engagement, and media backgrounds. Meet our team and learn more about our culture at https://acceleratechange.org/values-team/
About the Position
Accelerate Change is seeking a Director of Civic Engagement to lead our year-round civic engagement efforts. An ideal role for someone who loves spreadsheets, this role will work closely with our network to guide and oversee civic engagement efforts across platforms and partners.
Here’s what you could expect to do as Director of Civic Engagement (key responsibilities):
- Own our annual civic engagement program with partners
- Own our ongoing civic engagement and democracy campaigns and programs with partners
- Oversee coordination of year-round experimentation and optimization for voter registration, civic engagement interventions, and civic engagement mechanisms with partners
- Manage civic engagement randomized control trials (RCTs) and other program evaluation with evaluators, funders, and partners
- Advise new partners on incorporating civic engagement in to their programs and campaigns
- Across all responsibilities, collaborate closely with the Program Operations Department on tech and Messenger and the Growth Department on ads and platform experimentation
- Serve as the point person for partners, convene partners, and facilitate partner updates and other communication related to civic engagement programs, campaigns, RCTs, and program evaluation
- Coach, support, remove barriers for, and hold accountable the staff in the Civic Engagement Department
- Shape the strategy and methodology for Accelerate Change, in collaboration with the rest of the Senior Leadership Team
We’ll also look for the Director of Civic Engagement to:
- TBD. As part of a rapidly growing organization, you’ll need to embrace change and that your responsibilities will shift over time. Pitching in to help with the needs of your department and the overall Central Team is an important part of your role.
- Help advance our goal of becoming an anti-racist organization. Within your role, apply equitable work practices, challenge white supremacy, and help make our programs more inclusive. Center our understanding that multiple systems of oppression intersect with racism and be an active part of our values work.
- Serve as a resource to our networks of partners. Help amplify partner successes, make connections between partners and facilitate learning sharing, and offer your expertise to partners in our networks wherever it makes sense.
- Take an entrepreneurial approach to their work and learning new skills. In our fast-paced, unstructured environment, we love it when staff first try to figure things out on their own and then ask for help if they’re stuck.
- Seek out opportunities to deepen their skills on current/emerging platforms and with lean startup methodology. We take an individualized approach to growth where staff have the chance to explore and propose development opportunities that align with their interests and the team’s priorities.
What We're Looking For
- Commitment to social change. Accelerate Change is a progressive workplace focused on civic engagement with BIPOC and low-income communities. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- Love of data. You have strong data analysis skills and have a track record of applying those skills to advance an organization’s mission. Most of all, you love working with data, being in spreadsheets, and learning about new tech data sources. You’d love to apply your know-how to civic engagement and digital media contexts.
- Familiarity with social media platforms. You have a solid understanding of social media platforms and how they can be used to increase civic engagement.
- Interest in civic engagement. You are all-in on the importance of increasing civic engagement among BIPOC and low-income communities. And, you are eager to learn everything there is to know about effective civic engagement programs and strategies.
- Adept at stakeholder communication: Excellent stakeholder communication is one of your strengths. The more complex or dynamic the stakeholder relationship, the more you shine.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.