Part Time Temporary
Details: Based on experience
557 McReynolds Rd
The Bay Area Discovery Museum’s creative summer camp programs emphasize participatory, interactive learning for children 5-14 years of age and Junior Counselors 9-15 years of age. Topics include art, natural science, performance, carpentry, digital fabrication and others. We believe children learn best in a welcoming environment, rich with open-ended exploration. This type of environment and approach is dependent upon the teachers, and that is where you come in!
We are currently hiring for Summer Camp Teachers and Lead Teachers to plan and implement camp curricula and facilitate camp programs. Camps run Monday through Friday from June 4th to August 24th, 2018, with a mandatory one-day training day on Friday, June 1st. Employment shifts vary by position. All summer camp positions are part-time and non-exempt reporting to the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager. These seasonal positions are not eligible for employee benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Care for, supervise, and ensure the safety of campers during the camp day
- Serve as an appropriate and positive role model for all campers, caregivers and the general public
- Maintain a fun, positive, and friendly demeanor
- Work cooperatively to maintain open lines of communication with parents, participants, supervisors and co-workers
- Care for museum supplies, equipment and facilities
- Clean and organize classrooms
- Attend all leadership, development and staff training sessions
- Other duties as required by the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager
For Lead Teachers:
- All duties listed above, plus those listed below.
- Manage camp group’s drop-off, pick-up, and parent communication process daily
- Evaluate and adapt camp curriculum to provide developmentally appropriate activities
- Provide leadership in the classroom for all Teachers and Junior Counselors
- Mentor Junior Counselors seeking leadership opportunities and support them in setting and achieving goals.
- Develop and send weekly email updates to parents
SKILL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working in an informal education, summer camp, or early childhood education setting
- Experience designing, planning, or leading activities for young children required for Lead Teachers
- Strong interest in early childhood education or child development
- Behavior and/or classroom management experience required for Lead Teachers
- Superior customer service standards
- Ability to work flexibly within a team and to take direction
- Ability to take initiative to work independently
- Mature and hard-working attitude
- Formal training in Education, Early Childhood Education, Child Development or a related field desirable. Lead Teacher position requires a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in one of the fields listed above.
- Availability for all camp sessions, June 4th - August 24th 2018, plus a mandatory training day on Friday, June 1st
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. We offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through the BADM’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To view more information on each available position and apply for employment, please visit:
Applicants should be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter. Please attach your cover letter in step 2 of the online application process when prompted to attach other documents.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.