Center Square East
1500 Market St
The Early Childhood Mental Health (ECMH) Consultant ensures the development and understanding of the necessary components in a strong early childhood system and provides support, education, and resources to early learning practitioners and programs, as it relates to early childhood mental health. The goals of early childhood mental health consultation are building collaborative relationships to reduce the number children expelled from child care due to challenging behaviors, building the capacity of the child’s caregivers by increasing understanding of social and emotional development, and link and bridge services across systems when necessary. This position reports to the Professional Development and Technical Assistance Manager.
- Provide one-on-one, child-specific, technical assistance to caregivers in early learning facilities participating in Keystone STARS, using the Pyramid Model.
- Observe and assess children in their child care settings.
- Deliver child-specific targeted social and emotional supports to promote self-regulation and other behaviors associated with positive outcomes for children 0-5.
- Coach practitioners to increase positive interactions with children and support the positive social emotional development of children in their classrooms.
- Make referrals for additional services where necessary and appropriate.
- Manage a caseload of up to 16 children.
- Complete required paperwork and service documentation in case files and state ECMH database.
- Deliver community professional development to help practitioners increase their understanding of early childhood development, positive relationships, positive social emotional development of their children, positive behavior management.
- Serve as an Early Childhood Mental Health resource for PHMC staff, ELRC partners and practitioners; respond to inquiries or requests for advice as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with other agencies addressing the mental health needs of young children.
- Participate in state and local meetings on the issue of early childhood mental health.
- Substantial knowledge of child development, developmentally appropriate practice, working with children in groups, and infant/toddler mental health issues.
- Knowledge of underlying concepts of social-emotional development, screening & assessment, Evidence-based strategies for mental health promotion, Strengths –base practices, Community resources, and Family systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work in school or classroom settings.
- Demonstration of ability to work collaboratively and in community.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High level of cultural competence
- Prior training or coaching experience preferred
- Spanish fluency a plus
- Master’s Degree in human services related field (psychology, social work, early childhood education)
- At least three years of experience working with children and families less than 5 years of age.
- Experience working in classrooms, school, or community settings required.
- Knowledge of local community based mental health services and other supports for children preferred but not necessary.
- The Early Childhood Mental Health Consultant position reports to and is supervised by the Professional Development and Technical Assistance Manager. The position is full-time, 100% FTE. The position operates from PHMC’s main offices at 1500 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA though this position requires travel throughout Delaware, Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks and Chester counties as well as frequent travel to Harrisburg, PA and other statewide locations.
- Based on qualifications and experience.
Minimum Education Required