2730 Bryant Street, 2nd Floor
Employer: San Francisco Education Fund
Job Title: Database and Systems Manager
Type: Full-time, exempt
Location: San Francisco, CA
Join a passionate team dedicated to improving San Francisco public schools. The Database and Systems Manager (DSM) position offers an opportunity to further our impact in schools and contribute as a key member of the Education Fund’s team.
The San Francisco Education Fund envisions a world where our public schools are as renowned as our city. San Franciscans, known for their ingenuity, innovation, and passion, partner with the Education Fund to help all of our students succeed. We know that the chances of success in life are greatly enhanced by either a college or vocational certificate. Conversely, research indicates that in San Francisco, adults without a college degree are four times more likely to make too little money to support a family.
In response to this reality, the Education Fund’s mission is to harnesses the power of the community to equip every public school student with the skills to succeed in college, careers, and civic responsibility. We analyze data to steer resources where they are needed most, engage volunteers in classrooms, and provide grants to educators, to build a bright future for our city and its young people. We focus the community resources – money and volunteer time – most intensively around two critical academic milestones on the path to college:
▪ Students reading proficiently by the third grade
▪ Students successfully completing algebra by the eighth grade
Additional information can be found at www.sfedfund.org.
The Database and Systems Manager is responsible for executing the organization’s database and technology functions and will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer and relevant consultants to provide management of all operational areas of the organization. As a member of the organization’s management staff, this individual works closely with all areas of the organization to ensure our operations, database, and technology solutions successfully set our team up to deliver our work with excellence. The Database and Systems Manager reports to the Director of Development and Communications.
1. Drive strategic use of Salesforce to optimize usage within the organization.
- Support, maintain, and upgrade Salesforce.com as required, including but not limited to adding functionality, integrating AppExchange applications, and supporting the tools that are integrated into Salesforce.com, such as Vertical Response.
- Train and support staff to utilize Salesforce with quality and fidelity. Talk with staff throughout the organization to understand their needs (for example, contact management, event tracking, grant tracking, reporting etc.) and obstacles, and identify ways to make Salesforce.com and other technology solutions friendlier for users.
- Facilitate volunteer clearance process: Support the program team with the volunteer clearance process including working with Program team members and SFUSD’s fingerprint office to track volunteers through their final clearance.
2. Support broader Education Fund technology platforms.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the cloud based server provider (currently Box.com) to ensure the organization is up to date with feature changes and to submit troubleshooting feedback or other requests to the provider.
- Manage the technology and support infrastructure to ensure staff have the right information and tools to perform their jobs; drive the strategic use of Education Fund databases and technology systems.
- Provide basic onsite technology support functions such as email set up, password changes, etc.
3. Oversee office management and systems to maximize organizational effectiveness.
- Recruit, lead and supervise relevant independent contractors; ensure all team members have clear roles and receive regular feedback.
- Manage office vendor relationships for equipment and supplies; ensure basic office systems are functioning smoothly.
- Serve as liaison to SFUSD facilities department and building facilities work group.
4. Participate as a member of the management team
- Contribute to the strategic management of the Education Fund
- Take the lead role on organization-wide internal matters and special projects
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience; commitment to improving public education through community involvement; 3 – 5 years of experience designing and implementing databases
- Thorough understanding of project management, ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and multitask to prioritize and deliver results; able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines and goals
- Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience working with information technology staff to develop and implement program systems
- Demonstrated ability to engage critical thinking and/or problem-solving skills, a driving force who manages toward clarity and solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, managers, and Board of Directors and Committees
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to the Education Fund’s mission.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Must pass criminal background check.
The Education Fund provides a competitive salary and benefits package, including generous vacation, medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, a 401(k) retirement plan and other fringe benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
AA/EOE. The San Francisco Education Fund is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages women, people of color, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.
No phone calls, please. Email cover letter and resume as one Word document or PDF file, to Shida Zamani firstname.lastname@example.org with “Database and Systems Manager” in the subject line. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed. This position will remain open until filled; complete applications will be reviewed as they are received.