347 East 10th Street
For over 170 years, the Women's Prison Association (WPA) has worked to create opportunities for change in the lives of current and formerly incarcerated women and their families. WPA provides programs through which women acquire life skills needed to end their involvement in the criminal justice system and to make positive, healthy choices for themselves and their families.
We are currently recruiting for Resident Monitors in WPA's Residential Services Unit at Sarah Powell Huntington House. This position is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for residents, staff and visitors at WPA’s residential locations and for monitoring day-to-day operations of reception area.
Responsibilities included (but are not limited to):
- Monitor all residents and staff entering and leaving the building.
- Log in communications book all activities including package deliveries, arrivals and departures.
- Conduct security and safety walk-through.
- Intervene and diffuse crisis situations.
- Monitor client visitation.
- Alert clinical staff via log of any disruptive or destructive client behavior.
- Provide clerical support by answering telephone inquiries, data entry, light typing, filing and sorting of mail.
- Inspect clients’ belongings upon admission to the program.
- Distribute metro cards and petty cash and reconcile.
- Assist in the conduct of fire drills.
- Perform any other department or agency related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid New York State Security License
- Certificate in First Aid, CPR and fire safety or ability to obtain certificate.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Bilingual English-Spanish proficiency a plus.
- Good documentation skills.
- Pleasant telephone manner.
- Computer literate or willingness to learn.
- Ability to distinguish boundary issues and transference issues with that of the clients.
- Ability to interact with a diverse population challenged by issues such as substance abuse, HIV/ AIDS, mental health and communication barriers.
Job Type: Part-Time
- Working Front Desk or Security: 1 year
Required license or certification:
- Security Guard License (Armed or Unarmed)
- High school or equivalent
Minimum Education Required