1133 19th St, NW
LULAC National Educational Service Centers Inc. is a nationally organized, community-based network of educational centers that provide educational, career preparation, and leadership programs to disadvantaged youth. Founded in 1973, LNESC is the educational arm of the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), the oldest and largest Hispanic advocacy organization in the US. LNESC administers a network of non-profit educational centers that develop and implement community-based programs aimed at increasing the educational attainment of economically challenged youth. LNESC’s long-term objective is to significantly increase the number of young students enrolling in post-secondary education after successfully completing high school.
LNESC seeks a full-time Accounting Associate at its national office in Washington, DC. The Accounting Associate is responsible for the accounts payable and invoicing processes, assist with credit card receipt tracking, and reconciliations manage the fixed asset schedule, recording of prepaid expenses, bank reconciliations, assist the Accounting Manager with monthly close, and generating relevant reports such as the AP aging and monthly budget reports. In addition, this position will provide administrative and office support across multiple functions for the accounting team and the CFO ensuring that day-to-day fiscal operations for LNESC are completed to support the organization’s mission.
- Process AP invoices, issue and mail checks, filing
- Researches credit card receipts, codes and posts the receipts
- Develops automated spreadsheets
- Organizes and maintains up to date financial records
- Maintains fixed asset schedule and adds new items as needed
- Assist with bank reconciliations
- Contributes to General Ledger reconciliations, as requested
- Assists in special accounting projects, as requested
- Organizes and maintains retention files for required period of time
- Verifies invoices and routes for coding and/or approval
- Provide administrative support in the form of filing, scanning and matching processed invoices to payment vouchers received
- Reviews all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment and make sure accounts are up to date
- Create invoices for programs and events as requested
- Work with various government billing programs to process payments
- Process W-9, Tax-Exemption requests
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Assist with reconciling the American Express invoice on a monthly basis.
- Arrange travel for the LNESC Board Members to meetings as needed
- Be accessible to regional directors and vendors to answer and assist with any inquiries
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in oral and written English.
- Strong ability to develop work plans, set deadlines, work with minimal supervision, manage multiple projects.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Abila Fund Accounting software preferred.
- Experience with Internet tools, operating databases, such as FileMaker Pro for record keeping. Working knowledge of accounting software such as QuickBooks Pro.
- Ability to interact with employees, vendors, and others in a professional manner.
Experience: Minimum of 4 years professional experience in a fast paced, client service organization. Must be organized, dependable and a team player. Attention to detail, ability to prioritize work/projects and a have high sense of urgency are required. Must have the ability to process a high volume of invoices while maintaining accuracy. Must display good judgment and be able to work independently, as needed; Strong MS Office skills and be comfortable with computers in general; Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines; Must be flexible, adaptable and have a high level of initiative.
Education: A minimum of AA degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or other related field; or 4 years of professional experience in accounting.
Excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life, long and short-term disability insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan contribution.
Minimum Education Required