Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
American Oversight is a non-partisan, non-profit ethics watchdog that uses public records requests backed by aggressive litigation and communications to promote transparency and to hold public officials accountable. Since our launch in 2017, our 1,000+ FOIA requests and 50+ lawsuits have exposed multiple cases of misconduct and mendacity in the Trump administration, including that President Trump lied about being wiretapped, that Jeff Sessions lied on his security clearance form, and that former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt largely turned the EPA over to industry interests. We have much more in store for the future.
We are seeking an individual to lead our networking and outreach efforts on the Hill and with peer organizations. The individual will help identify opportunities for collaboration, pro bono representation, and amplification. For example, the documents American Oversight receives may be highly relevant to congressional investigators or to civil rights advocates. Those same external contacts may be interested in having American Oversight launch parallel, independent investigations. We need an individual to build and maintain those bridges. This isn’t lobbying or coalition building; it’s connecting advocates and investigators to ensure that bad actors do not escape accountability.
The position is located in Washington, DC, and reports to the executive director.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
- Build and maintain relationships with key congressional committees, member offices, and staff involved in conducting oversight of the Trump administration.
- Work with Executive Director to forge and build partnerships with other non-profit groups or coalitions working on oversight and accountability issues.
- Stay in close contact with the above stakeholders and groups to identify opportunities for American Oversight to share its work or to conduct independent investigations to amplify the work of others.
- Follow oversight-related developments in Congress and in the media to identify priorities, events (such as upcoming hearings), trends, and opportunities.
- Speak on behalf of American Oversight in meetings and other group settings.
- Exercise good judgment and diplomacy at all times.
- Serve as a primary point of contact to respond to inquiries from the Hill and other organizations.
- 2-5 years working in external affairs, government relations, or on Capitol Hill
- Comfort or familiarity with the Freedom of Information Act and/or litigation a plus
- Experience working in a team and handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with multiple stakeholders and organizations
- Familiarity with congressional committee jurisdictions and experience working with congressional investigations or hearings.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, highly organized, and exceptional attention to detail
- A strong interest in government ethics and accountability
- Self-motivation and an ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
American Oversight is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, résumé, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.