East Palo Alto
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Primary School (TPS) is a new non-profit organization dedicated to dramatically improving health and educational outcomes for children. Fueled by the belief that the current model of school is too limited to close the achievement gap for our nation’s most at risk children, TPS is designing a new model of primary education and primary care which braids together education, health, and family support services starting at birth. In doing so, the school will expand the traditional definition of “school” in order to prepare all children to succeed in college, career, and life. TPS was seeded by the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, a major national philanthropy.
TPS’s innovative new model of support has three defining characteristics:
- Provide integrated and comprehensive services: The new school will partner with an existing health care organization. Educators and health care professionals will provide integrated academic and health (physical, mental, and socio-emotional) services to students and families.
- Begin serving children at birth: The school will admit students at or before birth, and will provide early childhood supports alongside medical care during the critical years of child development, ensuring that students are school-ready by the time they enter the elementary school grades.
- Offer two-generation supports: Families will receive services, including primary care and intensive parenting education, to help them better support their children and become healthier themselves.
We opened our first site in East Palo Alto in 2016 and will serve 300 children and their families (age 0 to 5) by spring of 2017. In addition to our core focus on directly serving children and families, TPS is committed to designing a model that is replicable in other communities. We are investing in design, research, evaluation, and dissemination that will allow us to replicate our model and/or transfer our learnings to others.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The role of the Manager is to lead the strategy, coordination, and execution of The Primary School’s communication work, including media strategy, external relations, and brand management.
The Manager will lead The Primary School’s communication strategy, with the goals of sharing and promoting the science and rationale behind The Primary School (TPS) model, and building an understanding of the model with the public and key influencers. The Manager will also help TPS develop and manage its relationships with external stakeholders and the media.
- Lead the ongoing development and iteration of a comprehensive communication, dissemination, and engagement strategy
- Develop and maintain key multimedia communication materials, including web content, presentations, and other written collateral, and messaging for external audiences
- Manage regular, targeted communication with key audiences (e.g., monthly e-newsletter, annual report), both local and national
- Cultivate strong relationships with key external influencers to build support for and understanding of TPS work
- Manage all media contacts and act as organizational spokesperson with press
- Develop and manage systems to track external contacts to ensure ongoing communication with stakeholders
- Grow and manage the TPS online presence (e.g., website, social media)
- Work with the community engagement team to ensure messaging reflects and support local community stakeholders
- Develop and manage visitor and events strategy for key partners and influencers
- Identify and vet speaking and presentation opportunities
- Manage the TPS brand, ensuring consistent look, style, feel, and language for communications
- Work with the talent team to build a strong and aligned recruitment pool
- Collaborate with program leaders and research team to document and share knowledge.
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal) and ability to tailor complex issues into thoughtful powerful messaging
- Experience developing clear and compelling materials in a variety of formats
- Experience managing projects from concept through fruition with a high degree of detail-orientation
- “Big picture" thinker who can translate ideas into strategy
- Ability to connect with and tailor messaging to diverse stakeholders
- Ability to manage stakeholder relationships to achieve goals
- Excellent judgment, resourcefulness, and ability to drive forward to results with limited oversight
- Passion for the mission of The Primary School and belief that all children and adults can achieve extraordinary things
- Experience in communications, marketing, or public relations role
A Plus If
- Experience working in San Francisco Bay Area communities
- Spanish fluency or proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TPS values diversity; people of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please visit our website.