KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE
SOCIAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks a full-time Social Services Coordinator for its Houston field office. The Social Services Coordinator will be responsible for working with KIND’s child clients and their families to identify needs and gaps in services, and assist families in accessing services related to education, health, mental health, housing, mediation, and child care. The Social Services Coordinator will work with clients living in the greater Houston area and may support clients living in additional geographical areas as needed. The ideal candidate will have experience working with and within immigrant communities in the US, will have working knowledge of the challenges and limitations in accessing public services. In addition to strong linguistic competency and fluency in Spanish and/or other languages, the Social Services Coordinator will have a high level of intercultural responsiveness, sensitivity and awareness and cross-communication skills.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or a Masters in Social Work (MSW), or related specialty required.
- Fluency in English and Spanish, spoken and written, required;
- Two to three years of experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers;
- A strong record of intercultural responsiveness, sensitivity and awareness, and cross-cultural communication skills;
- A strong record of trauma-informed and cross-cultural care practices;
- Experience working with a diverse team of social service providers and advocating on behalf of clients;
- Self-starter who will be able to create a network of resources and contacts within a large metropolitan area.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Managing Attorney – Houston office
MSW interns, others interns, and volunteers
Responsibilities of the Social Services Coordinator will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
1) Develop and maintain a knowledge base of social services available to clients in assigned work areas;
2) Establish working relationships and partnerships with local service providers and administrators in each service area to enhance the referral process;
3) Conduct assessments of referred clients, including the larger context in which the child is living, identifying needs, barriers and safety concerns;
4) Maintain documentation regarding attempts to access services, and service delivery;
5) Provide and complete referrals to services, assist families in completing intake requirements for these services and follow up as necessary;
6) Assist KIND Legal staff in providing referrals for services to stabilize children to assist in obtaining favorable legal outcomes;
7) Assist KIND Legal staff on working with families in crisis and transition;
8) Develop a comprehensive service plan in conjunction with the child, his/her family, and his/her attorney, when appropriate, and maintain documentation regarding attempts to access services, and service delivery;
9) Work with other KIND Social Services Coordinators in other field offices to develop and strengthen best practices and guidelines, and provide training and support on relevant topics for KIND staff;
10) In collaboration with other KIND social service coordinators, identify best practices regarding social service delivery model for released unaccompanied children and inform KIND national of local trends and issues;
11) Help train all KIND staff and pro bono attorneys on social services issues, particularly in relation to trauma and its impact on unaccompanied children;
12) Oversee the relationship with the University of Houston, Graduate School of Social Work and provide ongoing supervision to masters level interns as needed; and
13) Working closely with other legal services providers, law firms, corporations, and law schools in to identify and support resource-sharing amongst these partner agencies.
Work is generally performed within the office environment and includes phone and in person contact with clients.
This position may require some travel, but not regular travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.