Details: Commensurate with experience
50 Broad Street
NLIRH seeks a culturally-competent, highly-qualified and entrepreneurial candidate to join its dynamic and growing team as Deputy Director. The Deputy Director is responsible for bringing high-level leadership, vision, collaboration and creativity to the ongoing growth of the organization and provide judicious management and functional oversight of NLIRH’s programmatic and administrative departments. This position is a critically important role, serving as a thought partner to the Executive Director, strengthening the internal foundation that supports the Executive Director's significant external responsibilities and commitments to NLIRH’s partners, funders, and the Board of Directors. The Deputy Director will hold and support the enterprise to work at the highest standards of impact, integrity and excellence as a key partner in NLIRH’s Senior Leadership Team. This person will play a leading role in implementing NLIRH’s multi-year strategic plan, supporting the Senior Staff in crafting and aligning annual operational plans to the strategic plan, as well as overseeing the development of subsequent strategic plans.
The Deputy Director will work as part of a larger national organization with staff in New York, Washington D.C., Florida, Texas, and Virginia. The Deputy Director will supervise and serve as an accountability partner to the Senior Director of Community Engagement Programs, Senior Director of Government Relations, Senior Director of Communications & Public Affairs, Senior Director of Development, and Senior Director of Operations & Finance.
LOCATION: New York City
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
Strategic Planning & Capacity Building
- Serve as strategic thinking partner to the Executive Director.
- Actively hold the big picture of the organization and lead the implementation of NLIRH’s strategic plan, which includes working closely with Executive Director and Senior Leadership Team to build capacity of programs to advance strategic planning goals.
- Pay attention to the conditions that shape the work and, through a combination of structure, processes, priority and goal setting, delegation, and clear and effective communication, get the work that is needed done.
- Participate as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and develop, in concert with the team, new and innovative strategies in support of the organization’s mission and vision in the next stage of growth.
- Project & Programs Coordination: Ensure alignment among NLIRH programs and departments by working with Senior Staff to identify and resolve overlap, conflicting program goals and redundancies to build efficiencies and streamline communication, including informing the ED of shifts and mitigation needs.
- Support Senior Staff in setting work objectives and priorities, and provide thought partnership to implement their program areas.
- Manage organizational calendar and lead quarterly and annual planning processes.
- Lead the development of new strategic plans in anticipation of the completion of current plans.
- Work with staff to integrate assessment and evaluation into all organizational programs and initiatives.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Operations and Finance, ensure seamless execution of the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Development, ensure NLIRH’s fund development plan is being advanced; assist with donor cultivation as requested.
- In collaboration with the Senior Directors of Government Relations, Communications & Public Affairs and Community Engagement Programs, ensure coordination, collaboration and integration of programmatic areas.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Executive Assistant, oversee preparation and finalization of materials for NLIRH’s Board of Directors meetings.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director, and key members of the Senior Leadership Team, oversee staffing and support of the Board of Director’s committees and its related workplans.
External Leadership and Special Projects
- Serve as high-level organizational ambassador and spokesperson as requested; stand in for Executive Director for media, coalition meetings and speaking engagements as needed.
- Periodic travel to various NLIRH locations to support Senior Directors with growth of the team and infrastructure.
- Leadership of special projects: Scope, plan, and execute strategic organizational projects as agreed upon.
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of NLIRH and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, energetic, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator with solid written and oral communication skills, detail oriented, and committed to the vision and values of NLIRH.
- At least 8-10 years of experience demonstrating senior-level responsibility in a closely related social justice field.
- Demonstrate a commitment to reproductive health and rights issues and related social justice issues (immigration, Latino civil rights, racial justice, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience leading sustainable processes of growth and expansion and building teams to achieve measurable impact and results.
- Proven track record working in a senior management environment and programmatic leadership across interdisciplinary departments.
- Exhibited ability to lead with and foster an environment and culture that generates constructive problem-solving, transparent communication, flexibility, and a “can do” attitude, with honesty, respect, and good humor.
- Focus and flexibility as well as willingness to play an active role.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high level of integrity and sound judgment and ability to work collaboratively across the organization.
- Ability to model excellent communication practices, including managing conflict and providing constructive feedback in a timely manner.
- Strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and strong analytical skills.
- Strategic and financial analysis skills.
- Superior written skills with special attention to detail required.
- Willingness to work hard and take direction—but also creatively solve problems for which the answers aren’t always obvious.
- Experience in serving as an organizational spokesperson for media, at conferences, and other highly visible opportunities.
- Master’s degree or its equivalent in a related field.
- Ability to participate in periodic travel as needed.
- Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
NLIRH offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, professional development, vacation and sick leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying please send your resume, cover letter, a brief writing sample and salary requirements via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write Deputy Director Application on the e-mail subject line.
DEADLINE: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.