Full Time Temporary Contract
Details: $18 per hour
254 West 31st Street
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Seasonal Park Gardener assists one of NYRP’s Park Zone Supervisors in the general maintenance of parkland in Northern Manhattan, including Sherman Creek Park, Highbridge Park, and the Harlem River Greenway. The Seasonal Park Gardener will have the opportunity to work in a wide variety of landscapes, caring for: forest, lawns, wetlands, and gardens. The Seasonal Park Gardener will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through park maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, an interest in ecological management practices, comfort interacting with the public and enthusiasm for NYRP’s mission.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lawn and garden maintenance;
- Plant Installation;
- Clearing and edging paths;
- Invasive plant management;
- Litter removal;
- Light repair and maintenance of park infrastructure including restroom;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist executing greening projects throughout the city.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in one of the following fields: horticulture, grounds keeping, organics recovery, landscaping or environmental restoration;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Ability to lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
Start date: March 1, 2018
End Date: October 31, 2018
Schedule: 8:00 am-4:00 pm, with 1-2 seasonal late shifts of 10:00am-6:00pm and 12:00pm-8:00pm Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to HR@nyrp.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.