Next Edge Arts, Inc., producer of the Next Festival of Emerging Artists (www.next-fest.org), seeks an experienced Managing Director for a new, part-time position on the leadership team of one of the nation’s most dynamic contemporary music organizations. Providing critical organizational and strategic leadership, the MD will oversee a staff of eight remote workers, ensuring the smooth operation of the Festival and ancillary programs throughout the year, and will work closely with the Artistic Director to guide the organization’s growth trajectory.
Founded in 2013 by Artistic Director Peter Askim, Next Edge Arts, Inc. incorporated as a 501(c)3 in 2019. The signature annual “Next Festival of Emerging Artists” is an immersive experience for the modern string player, composer and choreographer. It provides a comprehensive approach to entrepreneurial career-building, contemporary music performance and intensive, personalized artistic development. The Festival takes place in early summer in Connecticut and New York City, with an online format (“Next Fest Connects”) adopted during COVID and continuing going forward.
With an expansive vision for our future, we anticipate the MD role will grow over coming years. This position can operate remotely. The position is year-round, with higher rates of activity in the spring. When the Festival is in person, the Managing Director will be expected to be on site. (Transportation and housing will be supplied.)
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker and self-starter with strong skills in communicating and collaborating. While familiarity with all aspects of running a non-profit is optimal, the role is primarily administrative and centered on co-ordination of a team of contractors and oversight of activities. At the same time, the candidate should be prepared to execute and, especially during the Festival itself, to be involved very much on the ground. This is a nascent role with growth potential.
As a member of the leadership team, MD responsibilities include, but are not be limited to:
• Supervise, lead, evaluate, and motivate a talented team of part-time consultants and contractors, including marketing, social media, e-newsletters, fundraising, accounting, and operations. Oversee hiring as needed.
• Working closely with the Artistic Director, develop and implement comprehensive operational strategies in service of the goals of the board and artistic leadership.
• Maintain positive and trust-based relations throughout the organization, serving as an inspirational communicator between board, Artistic Director, staff, contractors, students, and patrons.
• Implementation of Next Festival initiatives, programs, and activity, ensuring safety, efficacy, and adherence to its mission and values.
• Work with the Artistic Director and Treasurer to oversee budget for Next Edge operations (QuickBooks platform), including advising leadership team on financial performance, spending priorities and short- and long-term operational needs.
• Ensure institutional policies and legal guidelines are communicated and followed throughout the organization.
• Communicate effectively with press donors and audiences, appropriately representing the Festival’s mission and strengthening its profile.
• In conjunction with Artistic Director, oversee schedule of all online activities; co-ordinate with artists, audiences/students and promotional team.
• In conjunction with Artistic Director, continue to develop structure and schedules of recruitment, fundraising and operational tasks.
• Co-ordinate communications with donors; facilitate fundraising and donor relations
• Develop strategies and solutions to integrate an evolving combination of online and in-person activities
• Proven excellence in team management, displaying flexibility/adaptability, grace under pressure, skill in assessing and resolving conflict, and a high level of personal integrity.
• Strong oral, written and visual communications skills for marketing, social media and external communications.
• Familiarity with digital arts presenting preferred, including audio/video editing, Zoom, and website management
• Desired: Ability to select, implement and maintain comprehensive CRM system.
Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in arts management, music, or related area required; 2-3 years’ experience preferred.
Next Edge Arts, Inc., producer of the Next Festival of Emerging Artists (www.next-fest.org), seeks an experienced Managing Director for a new, part-time position on the leadership team of one of the nation’s most dynamic contemporary music…