100 Tompkins Avenue
Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a Group Leader who will be responsible for leading small group instruction and activities in an after-school setting.
This position is available to work in Staten Island.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and facilitate age-appropriate, thematic based lesson plans and activities that align to NYC educational standards.
- Provide a safe, structured environment for student learning.
- Facilitate small group tutoring sessions and recreational/cultural activities (up to 10 -12 students).
- Participate in planning sessions and/or staff development sessions with Center Directors.
- Complete necessary reports to monitor student progress and participation; Includes: daily attendance, maintaining student portfolios and pick-up sign-in sheets.
- Attend PAL culminating activities and events such as recitals, performances, fairs, and trips.
- Lead or attend meetings with staff, parents, volunteers and community residents as needed to assist in program delivery and promotion of programs.
- Communicate with parents and school administration to inform them of participants’ progress.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Minimum H.S. diploma/GED.
- College students preferred with major in Education or Child Psychology.
- 1-3 years experience working with youth from 6 to 18 years old.
- Must possess strong classroom management skills.
- Must demonstrate the ability to develop lesson plans.
- Must be responsible and organized with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a team player.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don’t contact this job poster.
Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required