Project Assistant, International Interventions Team (IIT)
- Job posted by National Network for Safe Communities
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
BMW Building, Suite 1140 | West 59th Street
The National Network for Safe Communities (NNSC) at John Jay College seeks a full-time Project Assistant to support its International Interventions team (IIT). The IIT collaborates with partners around the world in their efforts to lower serious violence and reinforce community safety. As a newer practice area for NNSC, the team is very intentional about its strategic collaboration both externally and internally. Externally, we work with a small number of existing international partners, develop new partnerships (including proposals, relationships building, etc) and regularly participate in policy and research discussions centered on addressing international violence. Internally, we are building up internal information management systems, administrative and logistical capacity for international travel, and collaborating with other teams within the office to reinforce and build out existing practice. The Project Assistant will provide administrative, project management and operational support to the IIT and report directly to its Director. The position involves exposure to political leaders, community organizers, researchers and others dedicated to addressing the negative impacts of violence on cities around the globe.
NNSC works with communities to reduce violence, minimize arrest and incarceration, and increase trust between law enforcement and the public. For over 20 years, we’ve invented and implemented original solutions to important public safety problems; made those solutions available for evaluation, replication, and advocacy; and shaped the public discourse based on new facts on the ground. The IIT, officially launched in 2017, takes these practices to cities outside the US striving to address violence and community safety through the development of collaborative, deterrence based solutions.
• Support day-to-day operations of the IIT including participating in and documenting strategic advising calls; conducting follow-up; assisting in developing agendas, conducting discrete research projects and performing limited data analysis; participating in regular strategy sessions, and tracking deliverables;
• Under the guidance of the IIT Director, schedule in-person and remote communications and logistical coordination with external stakeholders and partners;
• Manage planning and logistics for IIT travel and events, in partnership with NNSC’s operations and finance staff;
• Work with team members to develop a functional information management system, building off existing systems that use Box, Sharefile, Podio and other platforms;
• Aid in the drafting of memos, proposals, progress reports, training tools, and other written materials for internal and external use;
• Provide general secretarial and administrative support as needed;
• Support the tracking of grant deliverables;
• Be a positive team player who takes seriously the mission of the organization and can appreciate both the challenges and opportunities in working on a small and growing team.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, highly-motivated individual with excellent organization skills; strong attention to detail; and an ability to independently prioritize and simultaneously handle multiple tasks. Additional requirements include:
• Bachelor's degree, plus at least 2 years of work experience or Masters degree with at least 1 year of work experience.
• Good written and oral communication skills including confidence, tact and nuance;
• Strong collaborative skills and the ability to interact with other office staff at all levels, sometimes under pressure;
• Willingness to take on and experience handling administrative tasks relating to travel, correspondence and event planning;
• Experience in the violence reduction, criminal justice, peacebuilding and/or related field preferred;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Bonus for experience with Podio and Sharefiile.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Visit goo.gl/FvL4wq to apply. Cover letter and resume required. Salary commensurate with experience.
The Research Foundation of the City University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities Act e-verified employer.