Details: See salary information under "Description"
1326 Washington St.
Job Title: Membership Coordinator
Role: To plan, implement, monitor and evaluate strategies, programs and activities that make visitors feel welcome; promote membership growth, connection and satisfaction; facilitate communication within the Society as well as with the outside world; and promote the financial growth of the Society.
Reports to: Minister
Salary: Commensurate with experience and education. The First Unitarian Universalist Society in Newton (FUUSN) is a fair compensation congregation and will pay within the UUA prevailing recommended salary range for a mid-sized congregation. (http://www.uua.org/careers/compensation/fair/congregational-staff)
Hours: Part-time (20 hours per week) for 10 months of the year; from August 15 -- June 15.
Following are some activities that the Membership Coordinator at FUUSN may be expected to perform:
1. Implement and evaluate procedures for welcoming visitors and members including:
· Greeting new attendees on Sundays, and following up with newcomers
· Helping to create and manage ceremonies recognizing new members
2. Educate newcomers about financial support and other expectations of membership
3. Support Member Services, Welcoming Congregation, Annual Budget Drive Committees, and other relevant groups; including attending Member Services and other committee meetings
4. Promote individual members’ interests in making positive contributions to the Society by identifying potential volunteer activities consistent with members’ interests
5. Promote volunteer recognition and appreciation
6. Coordinate communication between staff and congregation, among Society members, and between the Society and the rest of the community and world. Communication coordination may include:
· Monitoring and engagement with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
· Support and coordination of website maintenance and enhancement activities
· Interfacing with external news organizations such as newspapers, radio, local websites, etc.
7. Maintain and facilitate the use of a membership database
8. Split time appropriately between weekdays and weekends
· Attend Sunday services and coffee hour
· Attend weekly staff meetings
9. Help organize and promote various social events sponsored by the Member Services Committee
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Works well with and enjoys meeting people: recruiting, relating and making connections
- Ability to organize and keep track of several projects at once
- Ability to be flexible and to prioritize work
- Ability to write and speak well
- Ability to see the “big picture” as well as implementing and tending to details
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively with church leaders and staff
- Understands or is willing to learn UU history, faith and principles, and FUUSN history and philosophy
- Computer literacy; ability to handle email, social media, word processing, spreadsheets; willingness to learn new technology as needed.
- Database management experience, familiarity with Wordpress, Mailchimp and Realm is helpful.
Experience as a volunteer or working for churches or comparable non-profits preferred.
About the First Unitarian Universalist Society in Newton (FUUSN)
Located in West Newton, 10 miles west of Boston and accessible by Commuter Rail and MBTA bus, FUUSN is a vibrant mid-sized congregation. The Membership Coordinator will build on our engaging community of care and fun by collaborating with the wide range of constituents within FUUSN. Our website, at http://fusn.org provides more detail about activities and members of FUUSN.
Please send a cover letter and resumé via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our postal address is: 1326 Washington Street, West Newton, MA 02465
Level of Language Proficiency
Primary language is English.
Minimum Education Required