Missioner for Communications (Communications Director)
- Job posted by Episcopal Diocese of Washington
Details: Commensurate with skills and experience
3101 Wisconsin Avenue Northwest
Church House, Mount St. Alban
District of Columbia
The Episcopal Diocese of Washington seeks to hire an energetic Communications leader who
Enjoys using electronic and social media to further the mission of a faith-based organization,
Integrates technology, visual imagery and journalistic writing to create a compelling story,
Seeks opportunities to help others enhance their online presence and social media utilization,
Shares a passion for the vision of the Episcopal Church in DC and surrounding region.
The Missioner works strategically with key leaders to build awareness and understanding of the diocese and its mission, managing a broad range of public relations topics that advance the diocesan strategic direction as well as the positioning of the organization and its senior staff. The incumbent works closely with the Technology Director in providing training to Diocesan faith communities in best communications practices.
- Deep understanding of cause-driven nonprofits and communication strategies
- Ability to see and seize opportunities to promote mission-related stories
- Understanding of central office services for multi-agency/church associations
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Tech savviness. Experience with the following or similar strongly preferred:
- Social Media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat
- CMS: Wordpress, Wix, and/or Squarespace
- Email Marketing: Constant Contact, Mailchimp, and/or IBM Watson
- CRM Databases such as Asana, Insightly, The Data Bank, and/or Realm (ACS Technologies)
- Metrics such as Google Analytics or Hootsuite
- Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro
- Excellent soft skills. Interpersonal relationships with both staff and external stakeholders are key to success in this position.
- Working knowledge of the Episcopal Church required and Episcopal Diocese of Washington preferred
- Must have a vehicle or other transportation to parish visits and Diocesan events
- Must be able to use stairs and occasionally carry up to 30 lbs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Bishop of Washington, Diocesan Staff and governing boards to create and implement a unified diocesan message
- Guide the Bishop of Washington in developing her roles as both a national public figure and the head of the Episcopal Church in D.C. and southern Maryland
- Work with faith communities in establishing communications strategies and best practices
- Oversee and manage all diocesan communication vehicles, including but not limited to the website, social media presence, brochures, flyers, publications, newsletters, and documents
- Lead the public affairs efforts including media outreach, press relations, crisis communications and public advocacy
- Serve as staff graphic designer, photographer, videographer and editor
- Serve as major events team member for regional town hall assemblies, annual governance gatherings and other events as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Comprehensive package including health, group life, retirement contribution, disability insurance and generous paid leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications begin immediately and continues until job is filled.