Details: mid to high 50K's
Are you deeply worried, angry, or otherwise unhappy about the current state of our country and the Commonwealth? Do you keep score of progressive policy gains and setbacks? Are you concerned about the inequities in the accessibility of reproductive health and rights? Are you eager to jump into the debate to advance policies to support women and families across Virginia? So are we. You may be a perfect fit for our team of “repro warriors” if you get up every day – despite the Trump Administration’s latest anti-abortion, anti-birth control, anti-woman actions – ready to drive forward the change we seek in the world.
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia seeks a full-time Director of Development to advance our state-level advocacy, organizing, and political work for reproductive rights and health care access. The Director of Development will oversee all our fundraising and donor communications efforts, including membership (direct mail, online, sustainers), major donors, foundation grants, and special events. Our ideal candidate will have a breadth of experience and demonstrated success in nonprofit fundraising; exceptional written and verbal communication and strategic thinking skills; and the organizational skills to manage themselves and others to implement various fundraising strategies to achieve our goals.
Who We Are
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia (NPCV) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and advancing reproductive rights and health care access at the state level through policy advocacy, grassroots activism, and political organizing. With the support of tens of thousands of member-activists, we build political power for pro-choice Virginians and work to ensure every woman can make the personal reproductive health care decisions that are best for herself and her family – including preventing unplanned pregnancy, having healthy pregnancies and births, and accessing abortion.
NPCV is an independent state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America and is made up of three entities: our main 501(c)(4) policy and political arm; the 501(c)(3) NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Foundation, which oversees our grassroots advocacy, training and education programming; and the NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Political Action Committee. Our staff of 10 is located across a central office in Old Town Alexandria, Va. and satellite offices in Richmond and Hampton Roads.
What You’ll Do
- Direct the strategy for and implementation of all fundraising and donor communications efforts for NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia (NPCV), the NPCV Foundation, and the NPCV PAC, raising nearly $1 million annually.
- Develop budgets and coordinated plans to meet fundraising goals in partnership with the executive director, boards of directors, and NPCV staff.
- Create donor-facing content and advance consistent, compelling, mission-driven messaging across a variety of channels and styles – from direct mail and emails, to major donor memos, to event invitations, to foundation grant proposals and reports.
- Manage fellow staff, interns, board members, and volunteers as needed to execute fundraising plans across the following four areas:
- Create Content and manage our direct mail program, online fundraising campaigns, and sustaining member program.
- Supervise effective donor acknowledgement and stewardship practices.
- Oversee our member database and online contribution platform (NGP EveryAction), including the creation of donation forms/event pages, pulling reports and lists, and analyzing donor data.
- Set general operating and program-specific goals, metrics, and budgets, in consultation with the executive director.
- Write letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and grant reports to institutional funders.
- Investigate new grant opportunities.
- Maintain organizational reporting structures to track grant metrics and budgets.
Major Donor Fundraising:
- Support executive director and board members in major donor research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Create print and digital content for major donor campaigns and communications.
- Plan and execute fundraising events throughout the year, including our annual Power of Choice gala, donor-hosted house parties, and happy hours.
- Oversee the integration of fundraising components into program events where appropriate.
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you:
- Believe in protecting and advancing reproductive rights and health care access for all and can effectively communicate to our supporters why they should invest in this important work.
- May currently be working in a medium to large Development shop and are looking for the opportunity to grow professionally.
- Have experience in the majority of the types of fundraising work listed above, with evidence of success and increasing levels of responsibility.
- Ideally have at least 3-5 years of experience in Development or related field, such as Marketing.
- Are a strong, persuasive writer with impeccable attention to detail and experience writing a variety of donor-facing content. You can convey the mission and vision of an organization clearly and consistently while tailoring your style for different audiences.
- Think strategically about a project’s goals and outcomes, tailor your approach to the audience, and manage both the big picture and the little details to ensure measurable success.
- Understand nonprofit management, finances, budgets, and strategic plans and/ or you know what you don’t know and are willing and eager to learn.
- Have experience using databases/CRMs to manage donor data and online communication.
- Can effectively manage fellow staff, board members, and volunteers on projects.
- Have a friendly, professional demeanor and can collaborate effectively with donors, coalition partners, elected officials, and other stakeholders.
- Can track goals and schedules for yourself and others to meet competing deadlines for a variety of simultaneous projects.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of progressive people deeply committed to reproductive rights and freedom and we are eager to defend and advance those rights. We work in a fast-paced, team-oriented culture, and are frequently multi-tasking and collaborating to meet deadlines. We welcome your bold and creative ideas and experience in fundraising, events, and relationship building.
This position is full-time (exempt), based out of our main office in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia (accessible by public transit). The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director and manage a development support person. The position requires some travel and evening and weekend hours.
Your salary and benefits are competitive for the marketplace. Starting compensation is mid to high $50K’s (commensurate with experience), plus a robust benefits package including health, vision, dental, and life insurance, as well as long-term disability, retirement plan, and generous paid time off.
We are committed to a diverse, socially just, and welcoming work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and people of color, people with varying abilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and résumé as one document to the attention of McKenzie Midock, Chief of Operations, at apply[at]naralva.org with subject line "Director of Development - [Your Name]."
Your cover letter should address the qualifications listed above and particularly your experience with the types of fundraising mentioned. Please also highlight any experience you have in any of the following areas: fundraising for an advocacy or political organization; reproductive rights, health, and justice issues; Virginia donors or Virginia state politics/policy; and/or managing staff, interns, or volunteers.
We will review candidates on a rolling basis, so if you are interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Please include where you heard about this opportunity in your email. No calls please.