3 Columbus Circle
Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC) is one of the world’s leading performing arts organizations, with a mission “to entertain, enrich and expand a global community for jazz through performance, education and advocacy”. A 501(c)3 organization that is now in its 31st year, JALC offers a full concert season with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra (JLCO) with Wynton Marsalis (and many guests) at its home of Frederick P. Rose Hall, “The House of Swing”, on the corner of Central Park at Columbus Circle in New York City; regularly tours the JLCO in the US and abroad; operates a wide array of educational programs, from WeBop for kids through the year-long high school music program “Essentially Ellington”, now in its second decade; and has begun a global suite of jazz advocacy initiatives ranging from free HD live webcasts and online teaching tools to local community-based advocacy programs.
WeBop is an early-childhood jazz education program which invites families to stomp, strut and swing to the joyous rhythms of jazz as they learn about the core concepts, instruments, and great performers of jazz with their parents or caregivers. Reporting to the Director of Student and Family Programs the Manager will develop and expand Jazz at Lincoln Center’s comprehensive WeBop vision and direct educational policy related to the program. S/he will manage all aspects of the program, effectively lead faculty and staff, cultivate relationships with families and collaborate across departments to devise strategies that will expand the program’s brand and reach.
- Develop and build framework for class scheduling, registration process, customer service considerations, etc.
- Manage administration of the WeBop program including: scheduling, contracting, and confirming faculty, staff, and guest musicians at both FPRH and Head Start locations.
- Manage and develop budget in collaboration with Director of Student Family Programs as appropriate.
- Develop written communications for families, teachers, and collaborators.
- Manage marketing content for WeBop on JALC website.
- Coordinate with other JALC departments (Marketing, Public Relations, Development, Technology) for support of WeBop.
- Interact with patrons and potential patrons including, visitations and field content related questions, FAQ’s, etc. Cultivate and maintain relationships with existing families.
- Manage WeBop events such as Family Jazz Parties, Lincoln Center Passport classes, etc.
- Develop, edit and refine standard operating procedures for WeBop classes.
- Strategize future program expansion by researching and developing special events, additional licensee locations across the U.S., curriculum, resource materials, etc.
- Facilitate new faculty orientation and annual teacher training sessions.
- Schedule and facilitate regular faculty meetings with WeBop teachers, accompanists, consultants, etc.
- Participate in Education Department activities including Essentially Ellington, Summer Jazz Academy, and others as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in education strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in early childhood education programs. Experience reviewing and/or writing curriculum a plus, but not required.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in Salesforce, Tessitura and ArtsVision a plus, but not required.
- Excellent organizational skills along with ability to multi-task and work graciously in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills—both written and verbal—including an ability to work with young children and their caregivers, as well as faculty members and musicians.
- High level of motivation, along with an ability to take initiative and work collaboratively within and across departments.
- Willingness and availability to work nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of or keen interest in and appreciation of jazz helpful.
Jazz at Lincoln Center is an equal opportunity employer.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation time, medical, dental, a defined contribution plan and deferred compensation plans.
Minimum Education Required