1400 16th Street NW
American Humane seeks an energetic, self-disciplined, and detail-oriented Help Desk Specialist with outstanding problem-solving skills to support the smooth running of IT operations and computer resources. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to Director of Information Technology.
For more than 100 years American Humane has been first in promoting the welfare and safety of animals and strengthening the bond between animals and people We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The IT Help Desk Specialist position is responsible for serving as the main point of contact for assisting staff with computer hardware and software related support issues. This position will also work closely with the Director of Information Technology to manage IT vendor relationships and handle hardware, software, hosted, and web services. This position reports directly to the Director of IT.
- Support the day to day IT operations of the organization
- Support multiple office locations including remote and staff that telework
- Set-up and configure computer resources for new employees and secure computer resources and network accounts for outgoing employees
- Work with the Director of IT to manage vendor relationships and communicate and work directly with vendors to resolve IT support issues
- Respond to AH IT support needs and system alerts in a timely manner
- Monitor internal and hosted IT systems and services for availability and proper operation, submit and track Support Requests and Service Level Agreement claims when SLA’s are not met
- Assist with ensuring IT support, services and maintenance related contracts and agreements are being met
- Orient new hires and train AH staff in the proper use of computer resources, the importance of computer security and the acceptable usage policies for Internet and hosted network services
- Run computer and system management reports as provided by desktop and server management portal services.
- Assist with tracking and maintaining computer fixed assets, generating asset reports and disposal of depreciated assets.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- BS in Information Technology or 4 years comparable Information Technology experience
- Firm grasp of IT concepts and principals, including but not limited to, desktop operating systems, network components and infrastructure, Ethernet topology, IP protocol, Internet technologies, VOIP technology and services, and desktop security
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2016 and Office 365 services and the ability to work through application related problems
- Knowledge and ability to use remote desktop support tools
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, ability to explain IT technology and concepts in easy to understand terms
- Prior experience with Microsoft Dynamics, Raiser Edge, FileMaker Pro, and hosted services a plus
- Ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner; possesses a client service attitude with ability to maintain a good sense of humor
- Has a self-disciplined, action-oriented style with strong work ethic and ability to prioritize tasks; high detail orientation
- Uses sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position based in Washington, DC headquarters office
- Standard working office environment
- Must be able to sit for extended periods as well as look at and work from a computer screen for long periods
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please click here to submit your resume and cover letter