ABOUT NEW PROFIT
New Profit is a nonprofit venture philanthropy organization that backs breakthrough social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. New Profit’s strategy focuses on building a breakthrough portfolio of grantee-partners to take on entrenched systemic challenges in America, including by driving resources and support to Black, Indigenous, and Latino/a/x social entrepreneurs who have unique proximity to solutions, but face stark racial funding disparities in philanthropy; and investing in social entrepreneurs with new systems change models across a range of issues. Learn more at www.newprofit.org.
INVESTING AND CAPACITY BUILDING AT NEW PROFIT
New Profit stands shoulder-to-shoulder with social entrepreneurs in support of their vision, with a specific focus on helping them build the capacity of their organizations in four areas: 1) Impact 2) Equity & Proximity, 3) Adaptive Leadership, and 4) Sustainability. We provide two levels of funding and strategic support to organizations in our portfolio: “Build Investments” and “Catalyze Investments.”
- Catalyze Investments: Though our Catalyze Investments, we provide $50K-$100K unrestricted grants, strategic advice, and a peer learning community over one to two years (through a cohort-based model) to catalyze the innovations of organizations with leaders and focus areas that have been historically underinvested in by philanthropy.
- Build Investments: through our Build Investments, we provide grantee-partners a $1M+ multi-year, unrestricted grant and deep advisory support. A dedicated New Profit Deal Partner serves as a trusted advisor to the social entrepreneur and as a member of the organization’s board of directors. Our support is geared towards building the leadership capacity of social entrepreneurs, boards, and senior teams and their ability to make strategic choices as they navigate change and growth.
New Profit seeks to hire a Deal Partner for our Portfolio Investing team. The New Profit Deal Partner is the linchpin to our capacity building support model for our Build investments. This individual would be responsible for managing a small portfolio of investments. The Deal Partner assumes four critical roles relative to each Build Investment in our portfolio.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Strategic Advisor & Project Lead - goals include:
- To align with and support the social entrepreneur in achieving their vision for impact
- To share New Profit's perspective, insights and pattern recognition on issues related to organizational growth, impact, and capacity building
- As necessary, take on project leadership in discrete strategic planning efforts in collaboration with the CEO and Senior Team
- To establish a strong and trusting partnership
- Leadership Coach - goals include:
- Coaching the social entrepreneur, and as needed, other senior team and board members to understand their professional development needs and help them unlock their capacity for learning and adaptability and to lead organizations that embody these values.
- Board Member - goals include:
- To support and govern the organization as outlined in its Board Charter and following best practices
- To fulfill your fiduciary role and protect the public interest
- To support the effectiveness of the Board's leadership and governance using New Profit’s Board Development Theory
- To represent the organization in the broader community
- New Profit Funder & Investor Steward:
- Provide fiduciary oversight over the New Profit grant
- Serve as the "holder" of New Profit's Deal Definition of Success and evaluate the organization on an ongoing basis against the Definition of Success
- Communicate New Profit's expectations and needs as a Funder to the portfolio organization
- Provide regular Deal Management updates such as Deal Dashboards and work plans, annual diagnostics, and other internal deal tracking activities.
- Actively participate in New Profit’s Deal Partner activities and be a supportive member of the Deal Partner community, e.g., attend Deal Consult Days
In additional to their core responsibilities as a Deal Partner, the successful individual should also anticipate involve in the activities including:
- Investment Selection: lead screening and diligence for prospective investments; provide support and insight throughout the decision-making process; and assess organizations on leadership, impact, scalability, and overall fit.
- Firm Internal Initiative Leadership: expanding capacity building practice and/or cross cutting priority firm projects
WHO YOU ARE
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to New Profit’s mission
- A successful track record of management positions of increasing complexity and responsibility
- Experience leading teams and bringing a solutions-driven approach to complex projects in an entrepreneurial environment; ability to set goals and priorities, facilitate decisions, and manage others and resources efficiently
- Deep experience advising and supporting CEOs / Executives in achieving their vision (strategy, leadership, operations, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience building and managing professional relationships and coaching and developing talent; a collegial and team-building approach that puts others at ease and engenders trust
- Demonstrated experience with and commitment to centering equity in your work and your ways of working
- An eagerness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and take on the full range of activities required to support the efforts of the team
- An action orientation, with an ability to balance initiative with collaboration
- Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to represent New Profit and its portfolio organizations in a professional, engaging, and dynamic manner
- Entrepreneurial mindset and an ability to design and execute consistently on innovations, processes and practice areas
- Illustrative list of roles often held by Deal Partners prior to New Profit: Social Entrepreneur, Management Consultant, Philanthropist, and Seasoned Executive