The Engagement Officer will actively support The Trust for Public Land’s mission by raising funds for operating needs throughout California, in support of our California Impact Fund. The Engagement Officer is responsible for donor discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual, corporate and institutional donors, with a special focus on Southern California. This position with be headquartered out of The Trust for Public Land office in Pasadena. The position recommends, implements, and coordinates activities with donor relations promote interaction Conservation Champion level donors ($2,000 - $50,000 annual gifts). The position works closely with philanthropy staff in California to create unique engagement and stewardship opportunities and communication that demonstrates the value and impact of philanthropic investment, increases revenue and drives philanthropy results. The Engagement Officer is a member of the nine-person philanthropy team in California, and works collaboratively as a part of the national fundraising team at The Trust for Public Land. The Engagement Officer reports to the California Senior Director of Philanthropy.
75% Relationship Manager:
- Oversees a portfolio of 150 donors and prospects
- Increases participation in the Conservation Champion giving society through prospect identification and qualification, initial discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Builds the prospect pipeline for this position, as well as for other relationship manager portfolios, through research, qualification, meetings, cultivation, and other techniques from the philanthropic tool kit.
- Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goals, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue
10% Institutional and Corporate:
- Working together with the California grants team and leadership, identify and solicit local and California opportunities with institutional and corporate partners
- Preparation of grants as necessary
10% Donor Relations and Stewardship:
- Plans and implements stewardship and recognition of donors, including Conservation Champion benefit fulfillment, individual and/or annual stewardship plans for key donors as assigned, stewardship events, and thank you calls.
- Organization of donor events in Los Angeles.
5% Other duties as assigned or required.
- Minimum of three years of fundraising experience; transferrable skills, such as direct sales, legal, business development may be considered in lieu of direct fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated ability to accept and apply feedback, follow leadership and align with organizational decisions.
- Self-motivated; able to multi-task with excellent attention to detail and deadlines; and can perform successfully without regular supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with research, donor outreach and events management
- Computer proficiency with various Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proficiency with complex databases or donor management software a plus.
- Understands The Trust for Public Land’s gift acceptance policies and ensures ethical compliance with fundraising best practices, as defined by the Association for Fundraising Professionals.
- High integrity and commitment to personal and professional excellence.
- Interest and commitment to The Trust for Public Land’s mission.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Occasional travel throughout California and to The Trust for Public Land locations across the country.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Driver’s License and access to a vehicle required.