Details: $25 to $29 per hour
150 Court Street
JOB TITLE: Educational Specialist
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Part-Time or Full-Time available
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
The Arab-American Family Support Center is looking for a dynamic K-12 education professional to oversee the creation and implementation of high-quality, developmentally-appropriate afterschool curricula for youth participants in our out-of-school time programs. The Educational Specialist will provide coaching and training to program staff and will insure that program activities are in alignment with Common Core standards as well as funder requirements. He or she will also act as a thought leader with program staff and AAFSC senior management to identify strengths and gaps in programming, develop new programs, and improve existing programming. This role can either be part-time or full-time, depending on candidate availability. A commitment to immigrant, refugee and low-income communities is essential for this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Curriculum Development and Quality Assurance
- Ensure that all structured activities have clearly defined outcomes with measurable skill gains and/or learning goals for youth participants.
- Write new lesson plans, provide feedback on existing lesson plans, and observe and evaluate program activities in order to improve activity instruction, youth engagement, and overall activity quality.
- Establish a lesson plan process, including writing, reviewing objectives, time allotment, conducting activity observations and providing feedback.
- Build and maintain active repository of curricula that is made accessible and available on organizational servers.
- Codify best practices and lessons learned throughout implementation and observation of programming.
- In collaboration with Youth Program team and AAFSC senior management, establish outcomes and indicators to assess program success, as well as measurement tools for such outcomes.
- In collaboration with Youth Program team and AAFSC senior management, continuously evaluate and refine curricula and activity plans to ensure high levels of successful outcomes for students attending AAFSC programs.
- Ensure all paperwork and documentation is completed in a timely manner.
Staff Support and Training
· Act as a thought leader with program staff and AAFSC senior management to identify strengths and gaps in programming, develop new programs, and improve existing programming.
· Manage training resources and develop new materials as needed.
· Provide regular coaching, training and support to program staff.
Other duties and responsibilities
· Participate in AAFSC meetings and trainings, as well as any necessary off-site meetings and trainings.
· Perform other duties assigned as necessary.
BACKGROUND AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
· Excellent writing and editing skills; strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
· Experience working with English Language Learners is preferred.
· Exceptional group management, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
· Knowledge of DYCD, DOH, and OCFS regulations and mandates is a plus.
· Experience in lesson planning, curriculum development, and implementation of structured programming for students in elementary and middle schools required.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a variety of concurrent projects.
· Passion for AAFSC’s mission and vision.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
If Specialist is full-time, rather than part-time, he or she will receive the following full-time benefits:
- 12 sick days
- 5 floating holidays
- 15 vacation days per year (up to 3 years); 20 vacation days per year after 3 years of employment
- After 3 months, eligible for health, dental, and vision insurance (individual is fully covered at 100%; additional family is covered by employee under or outside of plan)
- 403b Plan
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Voluntary Aflac coverage
If Specialist is part-time, he or she will receive the following part-time benefits:
- Voluntary Aflac coverage
- 40 hours of paid sick leave per year
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit 3 references (other than relatives), a resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experiences meet the responsibilities and qualifications of the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone queries please. All cover letters and resumes must be submitted via email. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.