Assistant Conference Coordinator - Education Policy Fellowship Program at IEL
- Job posted by Institute for Educational Leadership, DC
4301 Connecticut Ave. NW
The Institute for Educational Leadership is seeking an Assistant Conference Coordinator who will coordinate the 55th Washington Policy Seminar (conference for 350 people) for the Education Policy Fellowship Program (EPFP). This temporary position will serve as primary support for the National Program Coordinator, performing both logistical and administrative tasks.
We are looking for a motivated, enthusiastic teammate who is detail oriented, organized, and wants to hit the ground running. We seek someone with strong customer service and event management experience, who will be able to work full-time on March 12-16, 2019. Any overtime hours must be pre-approved with supervisor as needed during these dates.
The position is from January 7 to March 21, 2019 and is a fixed-term temporary contract at $20/hr.
The work schedule outline is 3 days a week in January, 4 in February, and full-time in March. Exact days and hours can be discussed in the interview, but you must be able to work full-time March 12-16, 2019
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Help plan the annual Washington Policy Seminar for around 350 education professionals
- On-site event coordination between hotel staff, IEL staff, volunteers, speakers, and participants to ensure a smooth experience for all attendees and partners
- Create and execute social media plan and event promotion
- Provide logistical support and perform project management responsibilities
- Ensure the accuracy and functionality of the network database and event website
- Assist in the preparation of pre-event materials such as program book, name badges, signs, evaluations, schedules, and budgets
- Provide customer service and vendor communication
- Perform other duties as assigned, including general EPFP support
- Ability to work full time on March 12-16, 2019
- Demonstrated mastery of event/conference management (prefer experience with large events of 150+ people)
- Customer service experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail oriented and strong writer
- Documented capacity to work effectively as a team member and as a leader
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with various software packages: Microsoft Word, EXCEL, PowerPoint applications; some experience with web-related software (i.e. Cvent, Constant Contact) preferred
Notwithstanding numerous reforms and incremental progress, we have not as a nation been able to achieve equity in education and workforce development over the last 65 years. Our big idea at the Institute for Educational Leadership (IEL) is that we can improve opportunity and outcomes and close gaps in access and achievement in education and workforce development through innovation and leadership development. If we invest in community leaders of all ages, stages, and sectors, we can change the odds. Our vision is a society that uses all of its resources effectively to provide an equal opportunity for all children and youth to learn, develop, and become contributing citizens of our democracy. To realize this vision, IEL’s mission is to equip leaders to better prepare children, youth, and families for college, careers, and citizenship. Through 2023, IEL’s new strategy is to prepare, support, and mobilize 2,000 leaders to eliminate systemic barriers in education and workforce development, and to create conditions, capacities, cultures, and policies necessary for everyone to succeed by organizing key constituents including parents, youth, community leaders, and education leaders at the grassroots level for greater equity.
IEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran's status or disabled veterans' status. IEL is implementing a diversity and supported inclusion strategy and is actively and intentionally encouraging applicants of color and of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply by sending a resume and cover letter addressed to Sarah McCann.
Applications may be considered on a rolling basis. Deadline to apply is November 28th.
Interviews expected to take place the week of December 3, 2018.
Thank you for your interest!