The Ecology Center is actively working to create and promote an alternative, local, food system that is based on the values of environmental protection, justice, and access to healthy, sustainably produced food for all. For more than 30 years, the Berkeley Farmers’ Markets, operated by the Ecology Center, have created much-needed marketing outlets for California’s small and mid-sized farmers and small business food purveyors; vital community gathering space; and healthy food access points for the Berkeley community and beyond.
OPERATIONS DURING COVID-19
The Berkeley Farmers’ Markets are considered an essential business for the purposes of COVID-19 (C-19) containment. As such, the markets remain open, and staff are actively making operational changes at the markets to protect customers, farmers, and staff to mitigate the spread of disease. This position requires work both at the farmers’ market and in the office. Currently, to comply with organizational COVID-19 protocols, some office duties must be performed from home or other remote work location. Once it is safe to do so, this position will resume office duties from our office in Berkeley, California. Unvaccinated staff are required to wear a mask at all times while working on site at an Ecology Center work site, indoors and outdoors.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Ecology Center is seeking a Farmers’ Market Operations Manager (FMOM) to provide on-site farmers’ market management and staff supervision; lead farmers’ market operational duties including inventory tracking, equipment maintenance, staff scheduling, preparing deposits, and general logistics support between markets. This is a full-time position, generally with a Monday through Friday workweek, some Saturdays required, with approximately 16 to 20 hours at market and 24 to 20 office hours every week.
- Oversee and perform all duties related to operating Ecology Center Farmers’ Markets in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, and in accordance with the goals and strategies of the Ecology Center mission and strategic plan.
- Contribute to annual budget development, monitor departmental operational expenses, attend regular budget meetings; Participate in organizational events, and cultivate membership and donors.
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate performance of the Farmers’ Market On-Call Program Associates, and supervise staff, youth, and volunteers working on-site at the Farmers’ Markets; work with Program Manager to develop a collaborative farmers’ market team; Ensure direct reports’ timely and accurate submission of time cards and time-off requests.
- Regularly manage the Tuesday and Thursday markets, and the Saturday market as needed, including staffing markets, market set-up and breakdown, vendor parking-in, stall fee collections, signage, load list distribution and collection, info booth staffing, volunteer coordination, token distribution, and all other market activities.
- Oversee and perform all post-market duties including deposit preparation and financial tracking, sorting recycling/compost, cleaning soiled receptacles and/or tables, replacing and/or repair any damaged equipment, restocking merchandise/supplies.
- Ensure that all market monies received are handled safely following established cash-handling procedures; oversee and assist in the preparation of market deposits within 24 hours of receipt of funds, and prepare change and tokens to be used in the following market.
- Oversee farmers’ market operations efforts including annual city and county permitting process and quarterly CDFA fee payments; farmers’ markets merchandise inventory tracking, including working with outside vendors to re-order and restock items as needed; vehicle and equipment maintenance and replacement; and, in consultation with Program Manager, staff scheduling.
- Work with Program Manager to respond in a timely manner to customers and vendors through phone and email communications while in the office.
- Maintain computerized vendor database; ensure vendor paperwork and permits are up to date and on-file; collaborate with Program Manager on annual vendor mailer.
- Work with Program Manager to create agenda, execute, and attend Community Advisory Committee meetings.
- Work with the Program Manager and Program Director to determine vendor mix and market layout as seasons change.
- Build and maintain good relationships with vendors, customers, restaurants/chefs, and community members.
- Assist the Program Manager in developing and implementing promotional efforts for the Ecology Center Farmers’ Markets.
- Work with Program Manager and Events Coordinator to plan, execute, and promote farmers’ market events which help meet the organization and program’s goals and mission. This includes liaising with farmers’ market staff, farmers and vendors to ensure successful event execution; and assisting with event set-up and logistics on event days.
- Ensure that market and event staff and volunteers observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
- Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations.
- Proven ability to manage on-site and office operations for the farmers’ market or similar small business enterprise.
- Proven ability to manage and supervise at least 1 staff person.
- Competency with word processing, spreadsheet, database in a Mac computer environment and ability and willingness to learn new applications as needed.
- Proven ability and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with participants including farmers, vendors, customers, neighbors and other members of the public.
- Demonstrable ability to effectively resolve conflicts.
- The ability and willingness to monitor and enforce policies with staff, vendors, and the public.
- Flexibility and creativity, ability to “think on your feet” and find appropriate solutions to unique challenges
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Regularly talk or hear up to 8 hours a day;
- Regularly sit, type, and use the mouse up to 7 hours a day;
- Regularly sit and stand from chair up to 20 times a day;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly drive a vehicle of approximately 20ft, usually during day light hours in dry conditions, but occasionally in the evening hours and in wet conditions;
- Regularly stand, kneel, climb, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms;
- Regularly lift, carry and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally climb stairs and/or take elevator;
- Occasionally get in and out of car up to 6 times a day;
- Regularly stand and walk for up to 9 hours at a time;
- Regularly work outdoors in all kinds of weather and conditions.
- Must possess a current CA driver’s license.
- First Aid and CPR Certification (or willingness to become certified)
- Conversational Spanish fluency preferred.
- Experience with or training in mental health first aid, safety, and de-escalation preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree, or three years of related work experience.
- Two year of farmers’ market, or closely related, small business management experience.
This is a full-time position, generally with a Monday through Friday workweek, some Saturdays required, with approximately 16 to 20 hours at market and 24 to 20 office hours every week.
Starting hourly range is $21.63 – $25.24, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Please note that only internal candidates are eligible for the highest starting salary. This position is eligible for benefits which include fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program and paid employee medical, dental, and optional vision plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/.
- Send completed resume, and cover letter in pdf format to Amanda Gordon at email@example.com.
- Please use “FM Operations Manager” in the subject line.
Open until Tuesday, July 20th, 2021, 11:59 pm
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.