Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Assistant Cook
Department: Senior Services
Reports to: Kitchen Manager
Under the supervision of the Kitchen Manager, the Assistant Cook assist with the purchasing, preparation, and service of food for breakfast and lunch, as well as assisting with the food preparation and service for satellite centers and the Meals on Wheels program.
· Prepare and cook meals at Senior Center, in accordance with Department for the Aging (DFTA) and New York City Department of Health (DOH) guidelines.
· Assist the Cook with preparation, cooking, and packing of meals for satellite sites and the Meals on Wheels program.
· Responsible for the safe handling of food, including cooking and storing meal according to temperature and safety guidelines at all times.
· Receive, unpack, inventory, and store all food according to policy and guidelines immediately upon delivery. This includes dating perishable and canned goods.
· Responsible for cleaning the kitchen and all kitchen equipment at Senior Center. This includes the periodic cleaning of large equipment such as refrigerators, freezers, slicing machine, range, ovens, range hood, steam table, and coffee urns.
· Prepare daily reports on the use of food for the breakfast meal, as well as inventory breakfast food monthly.
· Attend trainings sponsored by DFTA and DOH.
· Assist the Head Cook at Senior Center in determining appropriate work schedules and tasks for volunteers.
· Additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
· High school diploma or GED.
· Demonstrated experience working as a cook or assistant cook.
· Valid NYC Food Protection Certificate a plus. Ability to take training course and obtain NYC Food Protection Certificate at time of employment required.
· Ability to stand and cook for long hours.
· Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
· Good organizational ability, time management, and interpersonal skills.
· Good written and oral communications skills.
· Desire or interest in working with aging populations.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
Please Send Cover Letter, Resume, References and Salary Requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate Assistant Cook in subject of e-mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…