4450 Blakely Ave NE
Overview: The Events Planning team serves events at our beautiful 250-acre campus to support IslandWood’s inclusive and innovative environmental education programs. We are seeking a candidate with strong relationship building skills, an inspiring commitment to excellent customer service, and a can-do attitude.
The Manager of Event Planning is responsible for the development and delivery of hospitality services for IslandWood programs, including conferences, special events, community programs, onsite fundraising, auction redemption, and donor cultivation events. Additionally, this position coordinates some conferences, weddings, and retreats. The Event Planning Manager works with all departments to provide customers with an exceptional experience at IslandWood and develops new process, strategy, and improvement to align with the needs of external customers and internal resources and mission.
Reports to: Director of Strategic Development, Events
· Manages and develops a team of Event Planners and Assistants. The Manager is responsible for hiring, onboarding, goal setting, professional development, mentorship and performance monitoring for all direct reports.
· Creates and tracks the annual operating budget for team, including responsibility for expenditures that support event delivery.
· Upholds and develops the customer service culture for the wider IslandWood Events Team, aligning the conduct of the Planning Team to satisfy needs and expectations of clients and the organization.
· Evaluates the impact of events for customers, guests, and the organization and regularly makes recommendations for improvement.
· Co-creates and implements customer satisfaction and retention plan with Event Sales Manager.
· Supports revenue goals by collaborating with Event Sales Manager and team to align team priorities and provide regular updates on the progress toward goals.
· Works to meet department’s margin goals by maximizing revenue and minimizing expenses.
Event Operations & Planning
· Establishes and maintains positive, professional relationships with clients through effective, timely and reliable communication.
· Coordinates all details with clients to assure their event is successful.
· Develops and maintains favorable working relationships and open communication with all departments.
· Carries a portfolio of clients through all aspects of the planning cycle such as coordinating all pre-event processes, organizing welcome notes, signs, registration forms, and following up with clients after their events.
· Follows up with Accounting for accurate final bill.
· Keeps calendar current for planning, reference, rooming lists, room set-up, and final counts in a timely manner.
· Works with other members of the Events team and other departments to ensure staff support for functions before, during, and after the events as required.
· Maintains accurate information in the Salesforce CRM Database and uses the system as a tool to improve the quality and efficiency of our work.
· Maintains the EventPro booking system to ensure availability and appropriate scheduling.
· Oversees daily operations of event planning and delivery.
· Knowledgeable about general operations and emergency procedures required when guests are on site and ensures up-to-date training for the team.
· Communicates effectively with client and cross-departmental IslandWood staff.
· Works closely with Philanthropy team and other IslandWood departments on internal events.
· Manages the available inventory of lodging, meeting, and dining facilities for all programs using EventPro and other scheduling tools. Coordinates events on site with other program and service departments.
· Maintains in-depth understanding of food and beverage services, lodging amenities, and meeting setups and equipment.
· Oversees the scheduling of staff for appropriate coverage of events.
· Participates in weekly Operations Team meetings where all events on site are coordinated among departments.
· Participates in defining and recording standards of service at IslandWood.
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
· Minimum 6 years’ experience managing and coordinating hospitality services or other facility or customer operations.
· Minimum 5 years’ experience managing personnel.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal, supervisory and management skills.
· Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; excellent time-management, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills.
· Solid computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office. Ability to work on variety of software as trained.
· Demonstrate IslandWood's core values that enable teams and individuals to succeed with shared respect and purpose.
· Support IslandWood’s strategic plan to expand our mission and impact.
· Experience in engaging with diverse communities.
· Must pass child safety screening.
· Must be able to comply with and maintain a smoke free and drug free work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, Application for Employment form including contact information for three current references to:
or mail to:
Search for Manager of Event Planning
4450 Blakely Avenue NE
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
IslandWood is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. We encourage diverse applicants because we believe having a staff that authentically reflects the community we serve is critical to our ability to be culturally responsive.