14 E. 60th Street
Reports to: Community Programs Manager
Department: Visitor Experience
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Schedule: Varies seasonally based on specific program needs. Regular weekend and holiday work required as per program schedules.
The mission of the Central Park Conservancy is to restore, manage, and enhance Central Park in partnership with the public. Central Park's history, design, cultural significance, and 843 acres of diverse landscapes offer countless opportunities for discovery. Central Park Conservancy Guides facilitate a variety of tours and hands-on programs focused on the Park's natural and cultural significance through the lens of the Conservancy's management. These programs inform and engage Park visitors in order to enhance their experience and foster stewardship of this world-class urban park.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
· Leading tours and other public programs for adults and children.
· Conveying the Park’s history, ecology, design, and cultural significance through tours and hands-on facilitation, while also promoting respectful use and importance of the Conservancy’s management of the Park.
· Supporting the visitor experience by staffing visitor centers.
· Tracking attendance and related administrative tasks.
· Other duties and related activities as required.
· Bachelor’s Degree and/or 2+ years professional experience working in public programming, customer service, or related field;
· A strong interest in promoting the role of the Central Park Conservancy as Central Park's caretaker;
· Strong customer-service skills, with the ability to be a positive, professional representative of the Central Park Conservancy, even in challenging situations;
· Excellent communication skills, and a desire to work with a diverse public audience of New Yorkers and visitors from around the world;
· Ability to inform a broad audience using both formal and informal methods (i.e. conversations and formal programs/tours);
· Flexible, organized, team player with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
· Familiarity with desktop and mobile technologies, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications;
· Flexibility to report to and work in locations throughout the Park;
· Must be able to speak, read, and write fluent English and speak fluent Spanish, French, or Mandarin;
· Existing knowledge of Central Park and the Conservancy a plus
This position occasionally requires lifting of moderately heavy items up to 40 pounds and very long periods of standing and walking on rough surfaces. Candidates must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, and comply with the policies of the Conservancy, including the prescribed dress code.
Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways, etc.). If an employee discovers a potential dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed
Central Park Conservancy provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Vacation & Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Pre-tax Voluntary Commuter/Parking Benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be able to speak, read, and write fluent English and speak fluent Spanish, French, or Mandarin.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Attach a copy of your resume.