Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
51 Vista Lane
The Web Developer is a member of the Analytics and Collaborative Technology (ACT) group. ACT is a specialized technical team that provides Foundation-wide support for a variety of analytical, technology tasks, including the conceptualization, prototyping, design, and implementation of various web applications, software, mobile applications, and collaborative tools. The Team develops various products to support the Foundation’s work from the ideation phase all the way through prototyping, testing, and refinement to completion. The technology team relies heavily on the principles of Improvement Science and Design-based Engineering and Development Thinking to guide its work. The Web Developer is an integral member of this team.
The Web Developer will be responsible for duties including, but not limited to:
- Design and develop rich, innovative systems (from concept to completion), web applications, stand-alone systems, and collaborative tools supporting the Foundation’s internal operations, our substantive program areas, and our external partners using PHP, and Python
- Design, develop, and maintain MySQL databases
- Support the ongoing development and maintenance of several content and learning management systems, including legacy systems
- Produce and maintain complete and clear documentation of all projects on a timely basis
- Learn and apply the principles of improvement science to various aspects of the work
- Conduct research and review of leading edge web design and development techniques and tools, communicate findings to teams, and apply new knowledge to the work
- Create frontend design, wireframes, prototypes to support a formal design process
- Present on project goals, status, and outcomes to members of the Foundation
- Summarize and compile information into reports for internal users
- Assist with technical support duties and other duties as assigned
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will have interests in educational application of emerging technologies, extensive experience in web application design and development, and extensive experience working with content and learning management systems.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with an emphasis on Human Computer Interaction or equivalent experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience building, testing, and deploying high quality, highly reliable web applications and user interfaces in a team environment
- Current Python and PHP experience
- Experience collaborating with designers and server-side engineers
- Experience working with popular Content Management Systems including Wordpress and Django
- Experience working in a LAMP & open source environment
- Verifiable experience in creating technical design specifications and translating user stories to production code
- Knowledge of front-end development frameworks such as Bootstrap
- Knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, and responsive design
- Knowledge of MySQL and relational database environments
- knowledge of NoSQL database environments, including Google Datastore and BigQuery
- Familiarity with lean/agile software development methods and practices
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well as part of a team to move the entire organization forward
- Familiarity with supporting and developing around Google Apps.
- Experience with Google APIs: Google Apps Application APIs (Drive API, Spreadsheets APIs, etc.) Google Identity Toolkit API, Google OAuth2 API, Google+ API, Google+ Domains API is highly desired and an added advantage.
- Experience developing for Google Cloud Platform, particularly Google App Engine.
- Knowledge of user interface design, HCI (e.g., Fitts’ Law, minimalism), design thinking, and a deep interest in and substantive knowledge of current design trends.
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to creating a flawless and continually improving UI/UX experience.
- Experience with R/LaTeX.
- Strong conceptual and writing skills, particularly writing to explain technical concepts and procedures to non-technical audiences.
- Interest or experience working in the field of education improvement.
- Full medical, dental, vision, life, accidental death, disability, and long term care insurance, as well as employer subsidized flexible spending plans
- A retirement savings plan, including employer contributions and the opportunity for your own tax-advantaged savings
- Generous time-off benefits including 15 paid holidays and up to 6 weeks paid parental leave
- Matching Gift program to benefit charitable organizations and Educational Assistance to further your professional development
THE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- The Foundation offers a collaborative, community-building atmosphere grounded in an environment of mutual respect.
- The facility is located in Stanford, California in a quiet pastoral setting near a hiking trail.
- Amenities include a communal kitchen (coffee, tea, and drinks provided), weekly catered lunches, and outdoor eating/gathering areas.
- We also offer on-site yoga classes, free parking, and electric car charging stations.
Minimum Education Required