19 Clarendon Street
The Public Relations Associate is integral to executing the public relations strategy, a core component of Boston Ballet’s integrated communications, to meet the goals of increasing engagement, sales, and philanthropy. He/she will support the day-to-day operations of public relations and work closely with the Director in strategic pitching, delivering on long-term PR goals, and maintaining a positive brand reputation both locally, nationally, and internationally. This person will serve as the secondary media representative helping the Director field inbound press requests and staff press engagements. The Public Relations Associate is a non-exempt position.
- Serve as secondary media contact and field inbound press requests from local, national, and international press; help coordinate interviews and publicity appearances with Artistic and administrative staff; draft talking points as needed.
- Establish and maintain key media relationships across all traditional platforms and coordinate efforts with Social Media and Digital Content Manager. Cultivate trust and mutually beneficial relationships with members of the local, regional, national, international media, including reporters, editors, and producers. Lead the identification and fostering of new media partners to expand earned media coverage. Manage media list maintenance, media monitoring, and reporting, including maximizing tools like Trendkite.
- Serve as primary fact-checker for internal and external needs.
- Coordinate all aspects of the press release process, including researching, drafting release, driving internal approvals, creating distribution list, sending, and pitching. Coordinate dress rehearsal and opening night press invitations and seating requests for all season ballets, The Nutcracker, and ticketed programs (e.g., Next Generation, BB@home) in close coordination with the Public Relations team.
- Develop internal sources for content to deliver informative, engaging, and strategic media placements. Track and report on marketplace trends and competition to develop timely and strategic media pitches on organization-related stories that further Boston Ballet’s reputation as a premiere arts organization and a top international dance company.
- Manage the maintenance and archiving of all media-related materials and files, including press releases, media clips, media kits, quotes, photo files, artist biographies, Playbills, and performance history. Compile for Marketing wrap-up reports and communications to sponsors and donors. Update and maintain press-related materials for distribution to press and potential partners, as well as the press room page on bostonballet.org.
- Coordinate and staff press photo and video shoots, as well as various press events and engagements (e.g., dress rehearsals, press nights, in-studio and in-theatre appearances, and interviews) with PR team.
- Collaborate with Marketing Associate on partnerships and promotions as it relates to social media engagement and press opportunities.
- Participate as a key member of the Digital Content Team; brainstorm creative concepts, support strategy and execution of communications on the web and e-mail. Coordinate on special initiatives and assist where additional promotional copywriting or proof-reading may be needed.
- Serve as member of the “Patron Reception” Institutional Advancement integrated team; work with cross-departmental group to advance holistic patron interaction and foster retention.
- Serve as secondary marketing/PR liaison to dancers and work with Director to fulfill any PR-related requests for guest appearances.
- Assist in organization of photography library, DAM, and Smug Mug, as well as image approval process of the Artistic Director, dancers, and choreographers, as needed.
- Oversee press inbox and manage all how-to documents for the PR Department.
- Supervise PR intern(s) and oversee their duties including college public relations and event calendar listings.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of applicable professional experience in communications, marketing, or public relations.
- Given the highly public nature of this work, must have superior ability to represent the Ballet with professionalism and diplomacy. Excellent written and verbal communication skills; deadline-driven creative and conversational writer who is also a diligent proofreader.
- Proven track record of strong organizational and project management skills in a fast-paced environment; ability to work independently or with a cross-functional team to effectively handle multiple projects and stakeholders while driving toward deadlines.
- High level of creativity, energy and enthusiasm to take on complex, challenging situations in a dynamic organization.
- Interest in and working knowledge of ballet.
- Some weekends and evenings required throughout the year.
Boston Ballet is an equal opportunity employer
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short-Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
- Commuter Choice Benefit Plan
- Paid Time Off – Holidays, Vacation Days, Personal Days, and Sick Days
- Free adult dance classes
- Complimentary tickets to Boston Ballet performances
Minimum Education Required