Mothers Out Front is seeking a Communications Associate to play a lead role in amplifying the voice of mothers in addressing the climate change crisis. As the Communications Associate, you will empower mothers to share their stories, with particular attention to mothers from low-income communities and communities of color who are often experiencing the worst effects of the problem.
Through your strong storytelling abilities, you will identify compelling narratives and work with our members to highlight their work on local and state campaigns. You will also ensure that the resulting stories are clear, captivating, creative and reflect the hope of working together to create concrete solutions towards a livable climate for all children.
You will join our communications department and the critical role we play to help win our campaigns, from ensuring consistent messaging across platforms, to securing media coverage, to strengthening of our campaigns through online organizing.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work, by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $3.7m. We currently have staff currently working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing, writing, and designing our organizational storytelling framework by working closely with the Communications Manager and facilitating feedback from other communications team members and staff;
- Recruiting Mothers Out Front members to submit stories;
- Reviewing story submissions and collaborating with Mothers Out Front members on story creation;
- Producing visual components for existing stories to share on social media channels;
- Innovating new ways to share and amplify our stories;
- Developing and running trainings on best practices in storytelling for staff and members;
- Supporting member preparation for public speaking opportunities at panels and conferences;
- Ensuring key data is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder;
- Participating in other communications projects and tasks as needed;
- Supporting fundraising activities as needed, especially where member stories are useful.
What we’re looking for in you:
- At least three years of experience in communications or journalism, including experience working with volunteers or membership organizations. Campaign experience is a plus.
- A strong understanding of newsworthiness, the importance of storytelling, and story fundamentals.
- Exemplary writing skills with experience in visual content creation.
- Project management skills: An ability to work with departments across the organization and external partners to oversee story collection, production, and distribution.
- Strong relationship-building and interviewing skills for working effectively with mothers.
- A passion for climate change issues and the voice of mothers in the movement.
- A commitment to anti-oppression work. Demonstrated ability to work with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, religious, education, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- Expertise with online platforms: content management systems for web, e-newsletter services, Adobe Creative Suite and social media.
- Experience using web analytics and social media monitoring/measurement tools.
- Highly creative and flexibility. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- Ability to travel to meet with local teams and staff retreats several times a year.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and can be based anywhere in the US, with a preference for New York or Virginia. You will report to the Communications and Organizing Manager.
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
Salary and benefits: Mothers Out Front offers a competitive salary and benefits package and salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work setup. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Communications Associate in the subject line and include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.