Intro/Program Description: Capitol Hall is a permanent supportive housing residence for formerly homeless adults. On-site services include case management, medical care, entitlement assistance, substance abuse counseling, work readiness training, a meals program, 24 hour/7 day per week front desk security, and daily group activities.
Purpose of Position: The Registered Nurse is responsible for delivering direct and comprehensive nursing care for Capitol Hall tenants. The Registered Nurse will support the coordination of medical care to increase positive health outcomes for tenants.
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday and Friday (with some flexibility) - 9:00am to 5:00pm
Role, Responsibilities & Essential Duties
- Administer medications, injections, and treatments.
- Monitor, pack and dispense medication to clients. Keep record of client medication schedules.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient records and supporting data tracking and analysis.
- Provide wound care.
- Collaborate with on-site NP, community physicians and case managers to ensure optimal treatment plan for clients.
- Occasional verbal and written advocacy to external medical providers on behalf of CH tenants.
- Weekly communication with pharmacies and/or medical providers regarding ongoing patient care.
- Provide education to clients regarding chronic illness management and prevention.
- Provide education to CH staff regarding chronic illness management prevention.
- Assess acutely ill clients and determine appropriateness of emergency services.
- Conduct home visits to provide in-home care for clients who are home-bound.
- Track and maintain medical supply inventory.
- Attend and participate in all CH staff meetings.
- NYS RN license required.
- BSN preferred.
- Spanish speaking preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of working with older adults, adults with mental illness and substance use concerns.
- Understanding of harm reduction and trauma informed care.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Computer Skills Needed
- Ability to utilize electronic health record databases.
- Ability to work in Microsoft Office Suite, proficient in Microsoft Outlook and Excel.
- Some walking and lifting.
- Mostly indoor office, occasional basement setting during group activities and events.
- Regular home visits to client apartments required.