Part Time Contract
Details: $26.00 per instruction hour
21 Maryland Avenue
The Literacy Council of Montgomery County’s (LCMC) mission is to enable adults to transform their lives and enrich our community through English literacy. LCMC is looking to hire qualified and experienced teachers for its state funded English as a Second Language program. The classroom program provides 60 hours of instruction per session to help non-native English speaking adults improve their reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in contextualized instruction. Our life skills based program focuses on skills needed for employability, continued studies and the achievement of learner goals.
- Manage various learning sites across the county
- Supervisor small groups of volunteer instructors at each site
- Create engaging, life skills based lessons for adults based on competencies and standards.
- Create lesson plans based on competencies and learner goals.
- Incorporate technology (I-Pathways GED Prep) in lessons.
- Provide electronic lesson plans on a weekly basis to the Instructional Specialist.
- Record and update class attendance electronically on a daily basis.
- Check company issued email on a regular basis and respond to correspondence within one business day.
- Attend registration and testing at class site.
- Assist in the pre and post-testing of students as well as administer unit tests and quizzes to ensure learning.
- Complete the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) training prior to beginning the session.
- Utilize strategies to maintain student retention in an effort to attain state goal of 70%.
- Attend mandatory teacher orientations.
- Attend required in-house workshops.
- Communicate and work with the Instructional Specialist regarding observations
- Ability and flexibility to teach any level as needed.
- Participate and contribute to the organizations’ overall goals.
- Experience teaching GED (1 year MIN.).
- Experience incorporating online learning applications into teaching
- Good organization and time management skills.
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude, team work ability.
- Good communication and people skills.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a related field
- Knowledge of adult andragogy principles and techniques
The following physical activities are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations:
- The person in this position needs to regularly move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment, etc.
- The person in this position needs to regularly move about a classroom setting to adjust for instructional needs.
- Will be required to occasionally lift and transport boxes and other materials (not more than 20 lbs.).
- Must be able to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery (e.g., copier, fax machine).
- Hours are dependent on class site: morning, afternoon, evening or weekend.
- Locations throughout the county.
- Opportunity to work in a high quality Adult Education program for adults with continuous program improvements to support under-skilled adults in the highly-diverse Montgomery County community.
- Stipend for LCMC provided professional development.
- Stipend for lesson planning and paperwork.
- Photocopying available at office in Rockville.
- Sick and safe leave is accrued at a rate of 1 hour per 30 worked.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com
No phone calls or walk-ins please.